Auto-body guys (painters) advise needed

RL1

Established Member
Hey guys, I have a 25-5 cage in my fox, lots of tube to paint. My previous 8 pointer I rolled on some Rustoleum Hammered and it actually looked pretty damn good, and was extremely durable. I started cleaning and priming my 25-5 yesterday with Rustoleum roll on primer and it's a pain in the ass with the 25-5. Just too many tight spots, areas where the bar's intersect. I need to use a foam brush in those areas and I can see when I start using the Hammered that it isn't going to come out like I want it to. The halo is tight to the roof also so I don't have much space to work there either.

I dropped some serious coin on the chassis and I don't want to screw it up with a hack paint job. I initially wanted to spray it the body color but figured it would be more of pain in the ass covering and masking the car - well my opinion changed and I want to spray it now.

My question is, what type of gun can I get that has a very controlled spay and how do i keep over spray to a minimum??

Some pics

kth21.jpg

kth1-1.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

foxcage2.jpg

foxcage.jpg

f2hatch

Established Member
Get A Small Touch Up HVLP Gun And Just Take Your Time Masking The Car Off. It Will Take A While When I Did Mine Same Cage It Took Like 5 hours Just To Paint 2 1/2 Coats Of Base And 2 Coats Of Clear. If You Were In CT I Would Help. Is That Miller Race Cars?

Last edited:

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
any gravity fed hvlp gun will be good enough for your cage. you can adjust the nozzles to shoot the paint horizontal or vertical and also how wide you want the spray to go. you can get them @ loews, home depot, sears, etc. They range from $75 all the way to a few hundred.

gtmustang00

Established Member
rl1, your car is badass! Are you happy with the work dmc racing did? They did my 8 point and subframe connectors, and am probably going back to them for the full cage/turbo plumbing.

RL1

Established Member
Get A Small Touch Up HVLP Gun And Just Take Your Time Masking The Car Off. It Will Take A While When I Did Mine Same Cage It Took Like 5 hours Just To Paint 2 1/2 Coats Of Base And 2 Coats Of Clear. If You Were In CT I Would Help. Is That Miller Race Cars?

I was also debating whether or not to go with an enamel or 2 step. What is the most duribile paint in your opinion? - The work was done by DMC in Halifax

rl1, your car is badass! Are you happy with the work dmc racing did? They did my 8 point and subframe connectors, and am probably going back to them for the full cage/turbo plumbing.

He is with out a doubt one of the best, my only complaint was the amount of time he had the car.

gtmustang00

Established Member
Yea, he had my car for a day for the rollbar/subframes, but when i brought my rear end to him it was 2 months!

steve121

Established Member
I had the guys next door to DMC paint mine and they did a nice job. It will be a lot of work but I'd paint it the body color, in the long run you'll be happy you did.

Picture077.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Picture083.jpg

Picture082.jpg

Picture084.jpg

rogerb

Established Member
Keith,

Go to providence laquer in Cranston and by some black SEM Interior trim paint. It goes on flat black and covers very well. Best thing about it is when you scratch the tubes you can simply touch it up by spraying that area again. It easy to work with and you have to be an idot to get runs with this stuff. It comes in cans. Swing by Eric's shop and take a look. He has a few cars in there right now that he just sprayed the cages. As with anything make sure you really prep the tubes. Use some red #M scotch brite pads and make sure you wipe it down with some Preps All.

RL1

Established Member
I had the guys next door to DMC paint mine and they did a nice job. It will be a lot of work but I'd paint it the body color, in the long run you'll be happy you did.

I'm assuming they took the head liner out rather than cover it? - I don't see any other way around it

RL1

Established Member
Keith,

Go to providence laquer in Cranston and by some black SEM Interior trim paint. It goes on flat black and covers very well. Best thing about it is when you scratch the tubes you can simply touch it up by spraying that area again. It easy to work with and you have to be an idot to get runs with this stuff. It comes in cans. Swing by Eric's shop and take a look. He has a few cars in there right now that he just sprayed the cages. As with anything make sure you really prep the tubes. Use some red #M scotch brite pads and make sure you wipe it down with some Preps All.

Well, i figure if I'm going to go through taping and covering the car to paint it I'll probably go with a 2 step and paint it the body color. The door bars take most of the beating since the arm rest is pinned against it. I'll find something to wrap that small area with it, amybe that 3M cleal stuff you put on the nose of a car. With a durable paint there shouldn't really be any issues anywhere else. If it comes down to a touch up I could probably fix it with an air brush if I'm that worried about it.

What street is Eric's shop on? - Can you believe all these years I've never been there

Last edited:

steve121

Established Member
I used 3M protective film over my door bars. You can't see it once it's installed but does a good job of protecting the paint. Figure out the width and then buy whatever length you need. If your using 1.75 tubing then 4 inch wraps about 3/4 of the way around. I think I bought 4" x 8 feet, that was enough to cover both door bars.

http://www.xpel.com/

rogerb

Established Member
Well, i figure if I'm going to go through taping and covering the car to paint it I'll probably go with a 2 step and paint it the body color. The door bars take most of the beating since the arm rest is pinned against it. I'll find something to wrap that small area with it, amybe that 3M cleal stuff you put on the nose of a car. With a durable paint there shouldn't really be any issues anywhere else. If it comes down to a touch up I could probably fix it with an air brush if I'm that worried about it.

What street is Eric's shop on? - Can you believe all these years I've never been there

Vine Street right off george waterman in johnston. Let onto george waterman, go past Pats auto on left and its the next street or two after that on the left.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member

Picture077.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Picture083.jpg

Picture082.jpg

Picture084.jpg

Steve!! u went all out huh!!! looks good!! why the swap to DMC from Tube Chassis??

steve121

Established Member
Steve!! u went all out huh!!! looks good!! why the swap to DMC from Tube Chassis??

Jake,
There was still snow on the ground so it was just a matter of convenience of dropping it off at one place. I was able to get the cage done at DMC and then painted by the shop next door. If I had to do it again I'd go back to Tube Chassis Designz-better customer service.

dmcracing

Established Member
Jake,
There was still snow on the ground so it was just a matter of convenience of dropping it off at one place. I was able to get the cage done at DMC and then painted by the shop next door. If I had to do it again I'd go back to Tube Chassis Designz-better customer service.

Better customer service ???? WHAT???

dmcracing

Established Member
Not slow !! Just really busy lots of work and not enough time. :shrug:

Jake,

Sorry guys we really do try and keep everyone happy .

Users who are viewing this thread