Auto in a Termi?

Janstang

Established Member
auto is faster, but not as much fun... I like high HP in a stick...
Depends on your definition of high hp.. There's a point where the manual becomes too violent on the shifts and you have to worry about breaking the tires loose on every shift or holding on for dear life because you are upsetting the chassis with each shift.. I love my manuals but I got to that point and the auto resolved it all, not to mention running faster in the process..

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Depends on your definition of high hp.. There's a point where the manual becomes too violent on the shifts and you have to worry about breaking the tires loose on every shift or holding on for dear life because you are upsetting the chassis with each shift.. I love my manuals but I got to that point and the auto resolved it all, not to mention running faster in the process..

not to mention seasonal clutch swaps...I do NOT miss that. sure if you baby the car or get on it here and there itll be fine. but hell I only had 500hp and went through a clutch a season...and that only averaged 3k miles!

sc98cbra

Established Member
Hey SVTP I'm considering goin auto to relly get some great launches & ets at the track. I'm just not really great on the stick... I am wondering if a beefed up auto tranny with a convertor out of a mach 1 or GT will do the job... I'm not really wanting an overdrive gear & not go the c4 route because I want to be able to drive the car long distances @ a decent rpm...
I plan on making 750ish RWHP....
Any advise????

Is the car your DD? Is it just a track car?

Honestly. I drove an automatic GT for 6 months, and I hated every second of it. It is so boring!

Unless you plan on racing it for money, or just a drag car. I wouldn't do it.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member

Honestly. I drove an automatic GT for 6 months, and I hated every second of it. It is so boring!

HUGE difference between a 270rwhp auto and a 500rwhp auto. i agree....the stick is WAY more fun in a stock or mild modded car, but once you cross that fin eline the auto is way more fun imo. Ill never have a stick in a high hp car again.

RKWFord

Established Member

not my DD but it gets driven a lot I have had 5 mustangs
2 autos & 3 sticks & they all have been fun to drive

I really think winning races is the most fun of all hence the reason i'm gonna be goin Auto

TTBEAST

Established Member
Any high hp car with a stick is very hard to drive and be consistent. In my eyes you arent getting to use the HP without running an auto, wayyy faster. Cant wait till my
4R70 is done ...... Should see 9s no problem

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
im lookin into a Th400 just wondering what all you all to get beside the ultra bell, trans brake, rebuild kit, converter and shifter, anyone on here used a th400?

red03dave

Established Member
All of you C4 owners - what gears are you running? and what RPM are you at @ 80mph? I live in CA and most of it is fwy driving, is an overdrive really necessary? Because the price difference between the C4 and a 4R are HUGE!

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
well guys....if you are pushing over 650 i might look at using the blue clutches over the reds.....i have fried three sets in my car so far....maybe this automatic thing was a bad decision.

this last time i had a reputable builder build me a FRESH tranny.....stll burnt the clutches.

what clutches are all you guys running?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
All of you C4 owners - what gears are you running? and what RPM are you at @ 80mph? I live in CA and most of it is fwy driving, is an overdrive really necessary? Because the price difference between the C4 and a 4R are HUGE!

if you run anything higher than 3.73s itll suck. at 65mph w/ 3.73s your looking around 3300-3400...plus converter slip.

Users who are viewing this thread