Auto Transport- Chicago to So Cal

numbnutz

Established Member
Been doing my homework on who I would trust to transport my car. 2 reputable companies I'm looking into are Montway and Plycar. Also debating on open or enclosed. Both quotes for enclosed are within $50 of each other.

Would you trust an open trailer? Anyone else have experience with state to state auto transport?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I had a gto from pennsylvania open trailered with other cars to cali. Dropped it off in front of my house too, awesome experience. This was back in 2007 and it cost $1095.
I would have the company/seller take pics of the exterior to make sure it arrives the same as it left. Mileage too!

10fore

Established Member
I have shipped both open and enclosed and prefer enclosed, just due to possible weather conditions and the like. The last car I had shipped was transported on an open trailer and it was trashed by the time I got my hands on it. I had it shipped from Oregon to Texas and the car was able to experience just about everything mother nature has to offer with the exception of hail.

04svtterm

Established Member
If you care about the vehicle i would go with closed. Also, if the vehicle is lowered, closed will be the only option as the loading ramp is much more forgiving on the closed trailer. Open trailer, you need a min. 4" clearance. And that's cutting it close.

Montway is a decent transporter. I use them every now and then for my customer's transportation.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
I shipped my Cobra from Jersey to Florida, closed trailer for around $1350. Showed up exactly the same as it left. Intercity Lines was the company.

04svtterm

Established Member
Reliable carriers. Theyre the best in the business

LOL...love the "best in the business" responses.

After dealing with 100+ auto carriers....no such thing. You may get good service on one move but get kicked to the curb on the other. It's a business, and they will cover their own.

91Gtturbo

Established Member
I just used Reliable to transport my cars from NC to UT and was not pleased. My wife's Edge had a dime sized door ding and all the gas was siphoned out of it. We loaded it with almost a 1/2 tank and when the driver was backing it off the truck, he said you know this thing is out of gas don't you which I just thought it might be low from the way it was sitting on the truck. When I approached it the funnel from the back was laying up front with grease on it and the back hatch had greasy hand prints on it. Got in and it had 0 miles to empty. The door ding was along the edge of the door and I didn't notice it until later. My fault for not doing a better inspection, but they definitely won't be getting any more business from me.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
LOL...love the "best in the business" responses.

After dealing with 100+ auto carriers....no such thing. You may get good service on one move but get kicked to the curb on the other. It's a business, and they will cover their own.

How do you deal with 100+ carriers? Im curious?

Because I own a logistics business and know that reliable carriers are top notch. They hire experienced drivers with clean records. Sometimes shit happens but id trust them way before most other companies.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I had Cobra shipped from Denver to MN open trailer. I used Stateway Auto Transport, cost me $500. No issues and great service.

numbnutz

Established Member
I just used Reliable to transport my cars from NC to UT and was not pleased. My wife's Edge had a dime sized door ding and all the gas was siphoned out of it. We loaded it with almost a 1/2 tank and when the driver was backing it off the truck, he said you know this thing is out of gas don't you which I just thought it might be low from the way it was sitting on the truck. When I approached it the funnel from the back was laying up front with grease on it and the back hatch had greasy hand prints on it. Got in and it had 0 miles to empty. The door ding was along the edge of the door and I didn't notice it until later. My fault for not doing a better inspection, but they definitely won't be getting any more business from me.

**** that I'd be pissed. I have to ship my 5.0 topped off with 93 because of my Paxton AED tune. That way I have a little time to drive it if needed (not my DD) until I can get a retune from Shaun. I'm hoping shipping a car with a full tank is not an issue?

Thank you for the heads up 91Gtturbo.

Users who are viewing this thread