Auto-X Gurus

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
So I started to pick up Auto-X again and I took the cobra out for the first time in my newest suspension setup. H&R Race Springs, Bilstien Sports in back Tokico Blues up front, rest of the mods in sig. I was wondering how I could get a little better in the handling aspect of it. I know I need some stiffer struts, and sticker tires all the way around (I used Sumis 285/35/r18 & Nitto 555r 245/40/r18). Stiffer rear sway bar? (I have read our front is just fine?) Shock tower brace? I know the Strut tower brace is out of the question since I have a JLT Intake with a 1/2" spacer :bash: Any advice would be amazing, Thanks Guys in advance :beer:

Boss002

Established Member
a minimum of a 275 preferably bigger front tire, and alot better tire. As for an IRS car I don't know as much. Rear sways help stiffen up and help the rear rotate and help with understeer

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
As of the way of tires what would you guys recommend as in brand? I am just running my street tires as of right now but I am buying my DD this week so I will be able to afford new tires here soon.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
What is the ultimate goal? To have fun with useful seat time? Or are you looking to compete in a class for points/trophies etc?

Last edited:

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
What is the ultimate goal? To have fun with useful seat time? Or are you looking to compete in a class for points/trophies etc?

Right now I am trying to get the feel of the car and what not and yes get the seat time and have fun this season. Overall I will be looking to compete further into next season.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Call or email Sam Strano at Strano parts.com. He is a multi time Solo (autocross) national champion and knows mustangs very well. He has more than a few national championship jackets with a mustang. Some of the best autocrossers in the US got to him for parts and suspension setup recommendations. Also, I recommend running as much negative camber in the front as you can. You may want to also consider a diff.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
If you are just looking for seat time this year...just go for a good tire and keep the maintenance up. Get a copy of the rule book for whatever series you are looking to compete in, and start to shape the car in a way that fits into a class that you're interested in running in. There are some very easy mods that can bump you into a class you would have no chance of being competitive in.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
The 4.10s put you in C prepared. Locally you should be fine. Nationally, if you choose to compete, you will not be. C prepared cars are full tilt race cars. If you back down the gears to 3.55 you can complete in ESP.

Honestly just go out and have fun. I do recommend you call Sam and get a front sway bar. I did a front bar in my 98 cobra with an IRS and it made a WORLD of difference in the slaloms.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
The 4.10s put you in C prepared. Locally you should be fine. Nationally, if you choose to compete, you will not be. C prepared cars are full tilt race cars. If you back down the gears to 3.55 you can complete in ESP.

Honestly just go out and have fun. I do recommend you call Sam and get a front sway bar. I did a front bar in my 98 cobra with an IRS and it made a WORLD of difference in the slaloms.

You are saying my mods that I have now set me in C Prepared?

Boss002

Established Member
Yes because of your gears.... your not legal with anything bigger than 3.55 because it is not a factory ratio for our generation of stangs

Users who are viewing this thread