Auto-x in a L

BMA04LTNG

Established Member
Is it possible to auto x in a stock L. i have an 04 and am wanting to do it. Are there any problems with this? Just curious if I might break something other than traction.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I havent tried yet, but the guy that builds my transmissions (he races auto-x in a fox mustang) has seen one here in town that races. He was telling me that thing had a hell of a time keeping the tires from boiling :D

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
I think that a few guys on here auto cross. I know SVTSilverback does. He just sold me his ported Eaton.

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Ill be auto x'ing on sunday with just R compound tires all around, im usually a few seconds mabey between 2-3 behind the Vett's , youll love it, dont just mash on the pedal either, go with what you feel safe with, cone marks buff out easy too!

svtsilverback

Established Member
you are going to be hooked after you do it. i have auto-x my truck with the stock suspension, ruslow coils and hotchkis leafs, and soon to do it with the full TVS. The last time i auto-x i used svtky's hoosiers with setup #2. on a tight course you are not going to be able use your power and your inside tire is going to break lose on the tight turns. the brakes on a stock L are okay for most auto-x. i always raced in esp with lotus,mini coopers, 03-04 cobras,etc. esp allows the use of slicks,engine, and suspension mods. i have 2 tunes from JDM and i always use my cold weather tune because if you are in a small class you will be hot laping. last few times i got 5 laps per event. on your first pass go slow and make sure you know where the course is. dont laugh because at high speed all those cones blend together. smooth throttle control is the key. if this is your first time just have fun and keep in mind that you are in a 4700lb truck on a course made for 2500-3000lb sport cars. you will be by far the most popular vehicle there. everyone loves the blower whine and tire smoke lol.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
svtsilverback said:
you will be by far the most popular vehicle there. everyone loves the blower whine and tire smoke lol.

That is correct!

Me in my truck...turn and burn....
UFO_AutoX_10_1038.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

Me in Brandon's truck, drift, baby, drift...
UFO_AutoX_10_1006.jpg

Heh heh heh...my truck again....Brandon is the passenger....
Autocross11-1.jpg

Brandon in his truck, taking a corner...
UFO_AutoX_10_0885.jpg

Stewart

Last edited:

BMA04LTNG

Established Member
Thanks for the support, yes this is my first time auto x ever. the course is layed out on the bus parking at Texas Motor Speedway. It is one lap time trial style. Thanks all for the info!!

svtsilverback

Established Member
they all are one lap time trial, but if you are in a small class you line up as soon as you finish one lap. your truck really does not get a cool down period.

BMA04LTNG

Established Member
I guess it is never known how many people might be there, is this non-existant cool down period a problem?

bransharksfan

2006 ST Class AutoX CHAMP
Established Member
HELL YEAH DO IT!!

I have a ton of pic and a video!

Check my myspace page for a video of me Rockin' my L at an AutoX!!

Click Here For Video

BTW I am the 2006 ST Class AutoX Champion

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Last edited:

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Intercooler pump bypass relay is a must! Cost like $8 in parts always help me cool down. And a 10lb bag of ice!

svtsilverback

Established Member
you are just going to lose some power. most courses are around 1min long so depending on how many cars are in your class there is a few min. to cool off. dont worry about anything. just go have some fun your truck will be fine. you will not be full wot for very long if you can even go wot. my last track i could only go wot for 1-2sec on one part of the track. your engine takes the lest amount of abuse in auto-x. get some pics or video if you can. i love to see other 1% owners doing their thing.

Users who are viewing this thread