AUTOMATIC COBRAS Please help

ScreamMachine03

Established Member
I recently had a local guy build me a 4r70w I paid the money for the upgraded parts and hardware that he said would handle my power. on the 2nd dyno pull it burnt my 3rd gear., ' new to big power and newer to an automatic transmissions

i'm running custom ground cams, arp everything stock rods and crank with diamond 9:5 pistons, a 2.8 mammoth blower, E85, ETC.. The convertor I went with which is being sent back for a cut and clean is a 3000 stall circle D triple disc with lock up.

My plans with the car is a street Driven car that will go to track days, more street use for now because I like to cruise around.

I need all the input I can get from you guys, because I don't want to be without my car any longer than I have already, and want to make the right decision on which company I purchase from.

Please help me on this decision I'm planning for 750-850 now and something to grow into later.

Thanks Chad

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I don't really know what you're asking, but I would imagine a stock 4r70w would last a lot longer than what your upgraded one did. I run a PA 4r70w and have had it for an awful long time. I haven't had any issues out of it as of yet.

With that said, if you're looking to make 850hp now and more later, it is probably best to scrap the 4r70w idea and go with a 4L80E or a T400. They are just bigger and stronger.

ScreamMachine03

Established Member
I'm reading that the 4R70W is a ticking time bomb compared to a TH400. If I were to use a TH400 want kind of convertor would you go with. Sucks I have a brand new triple disc with lock up that probably won't be able to be used with the TH400, but I'm looking to throw power at a transmission and sounds like the TH400 is cheaper to replace and more power that sounds good. Another benefit is that I don't need to ship a transmission from Canada and back if it breaks.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
If you go with a th400 I suggest calling Rossler. I have had one in my turbo cobra for years and have only had a cooling line leak with it and that wasn't Rosslers fault. It has never missed a beat however missing over drive was the trade off for a trans that can take over 1000rwhp and last a long time. His transmissions run smooth and don't sound like a blender with bolts in it like some of the cheaper transmissions.

ScreamMachine03

Established Member
How is the highway driving on the TH400 is it manageable

ROSSLER is currently 2-3months out due to injury, any other companies out there

Last edited:

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
I am turbo with 3.27 gears so for me it is 2k rpm at 50mph. If I drove it more on the highway I would install a gear venders or go with a 4L80E. As it sits now it feels like the car is in kill mode all the time. lol

I had a th400 Neal Chance for in a drag car but never got to install it. Was a higher dollar build to take over 1500rwhp. He is better known for his powerglides.

Users who are viewing this thread