Automobile Mag says SC 4.6 for '06 Cobra

joeclams9

Established Member
Originally posted by §ilver§nake
This is a good point; the ONLY '04 Cobra may be the Anniversary Edition. I wonder what production numbers are expected. It could wind up being a very exclusive group.

Exactly silversnake...i wonder with ford though..like they did to you guys who were buying 03 cobras and had no mention of the anniversary(in the beginning)...might they mess with anniversary buyers and not say anything of an 04 cobra till "hey guess what, its in the dealership showroom". Then u have your 03 anniversary ed., and maybe u would have waited to pay less for the 04, or just bought a used 03 instead. Who knows, it could go either way, but I wouldn't be suprised if the 03 anniversary went long (as in, sales into 04) or they came out with an 04 anyway and just aren't saying anything until they sell a decent amount of anniversary versions.

joe

Grover03

Established Member
Greetings all. New member, first post. Been reading here for months, and thus been living the '03' live vicariously through you guys. Finally picked mine up lasy week!
As far as what is to come with the Cobra, this is what I know so far. No '05'. They originally wanted a new Cobra in 05, but the project has been pushed back to 06. The only engine they are working on right now (with any seriousness) is the 5.4 blown engine. The project appears, so far, to be on track, but I am told, as with any project, the plug could be pulled at any time. But at least it was good news to hear that SVE/SVT are only putting their efforts (time/money) into the 5.4. The IRS ssue apparently has not been decided as of yet.

Grover

davidmax

Established Member
The car IMHO will be a Z06/Viper snuffer and will make suspension history.Dave S.

SMOKE

Old School ROUSH
Established Member
If you're going after the Vette and Viper crowd, $45K sounds about right.

Mojo03

Established Member
I'm for that! I'd pay $40 large for a Viper killer. Hell, we're already on par with the vette. We just don't have all ther Vette's pretty bells and whistles for it's $50+k.

jshen

Established Member
Time for 5.4

It's time for DOHC 5.4 in cobra to go with 04 Lightning concept...bigger is better and more hp is better...besides..it fits with a little hood bulge....500 hp..then I'll trade my 03.....

Mojo03

Established Member
Been hearing rumors of the '06 maybe not coming out as planned due to Ford overall marketing problems and SVT being sucked up into their regular performance line. Any others hearing this?

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by wtw5974
I wonder what the rpice tag will be?
45k?:shrug:

If this happens,believe me,sales will plummet.Prices like this will not help keep our beloved pony car around for long...Think i'm kiddin?Check out all the arguments between Cobra owners and Vette owners.The price on the Cobra is one of it's most powerful strengths and the main reason it's still around and the F-bodies aren't...Because it sells(Including all Mustangs of course)....The Cobra is truly the working man's exotic with muscle to back it up against cars like the Vette and Viper..Put a few bucks into a Cobra and as far as performance goes,you're right there with them...Look back to the RX-7,Supra,and the 300ZX(Before it's return)Their builders started pricing them like they were holier- than- thou,and what happened to them?(shut'er down Ely...)..Just my .02..I for one,having a family and an average income,would not buy a 45,000 dollar Cobra ....And to be honest,I would feel a little betrayed by Ford for it.....Just look at the 03 for a good axample...It's an awesome car, and well worth the 34,000 or so dollars.You truly are gettin a very good car for that price..A 10,000 dollar jump from now to 06 is just not feesable(sp.):nono:

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
Originally posted by 28 fangs
If this happens,believe me,sales will plummet.Prices like this will not help keep our beloved pony car around for long...Think i'm kiddin?Check out all the arguments between Cobra owners and Vette owners.The price on the Cobra is one of it's most powerful strengths and the main reason it's still around and the F-bodies aren't...Because it sells(Including all Mustangs of course)....The Cobra is truly the working man's exotic with muscle to back it up against cars like the Vette and Viper..Put a few bucks into a Cobra and as far as performance goes,you're right there with them...Look back to the RX-7,Supra,and the 300ZX(Before it's return)Their builders started pricing them like they were holier- than- thou,and what happened to them?(shut'er down Ely...)..Just my .02..I for one,having a family and an average income,would not buy a 45,000 dollar Cobra ....And to be honest,I would feel a little betrayed by Ford for it.....Just look at the 03 for a good axample...It's an awesome car, and well worth the 34,000 or so dollars.You truly are gettin a very good car for that price..A 10,000 dollar jump from now to 06 is just not feesable(sp.):nono:

My friend and I have done nothing but talk about this same thing over and over again. I fully agree with you. If they jack the price way up then you might as well say **** it to the Cobra and we can all buy 240 hp V6s.

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
Sell 10 at a dollar, or sell 1 at 10 dollars....
All works out the same.

Ford gets money, people get awsome car ;)

The problem with that statement however is that, people want performance to match whats out now.
You buy that V8 you want it to outperform a majority of cars on the market...correct?

The price will be kept down with more volume.
Ford is making it easy for you to reach your HP/Performance goals.
But you WILL pay for that high performance.

Say for example you want 375HP what are your options?
Buy the 05 GT with S/C or buy a year old 04 Cobra.
I bet the farm the 04 Cobra will cost more: limited edition, exclusive stang. Me personally, I don't care about collectibility etc...I want 375-400hp, however I achieve this with a waranty, its all good.

joeclams9

Established Member
The gt is not going to have that engine in all likelyhood. It is built by svt for svt cars which the gt is not. Aside from that, which who knows maybe they will shock us and put it in, I don't think the price will be much more for the next cobra, i would say 40 to 45 for cobra and cobra vert. At the same time, I've also heard that the corvette will be getting a price hike too, so it will kind of even out in that aspect. In the end, I would be able to justify a 5k hike in the cobra's price, if and only if, as it came with all the goodies it does now ford also looked into making it lighter then the gt just as chevy did with the Z06 to go along with the hp.

Joe

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by joeclams9
The gt is not going to have that engine in all likelyhood. It is built by svt for svt cars which the gt is not. Aside from that, which who knows maybe they will shock us and put it in, I don't think the price will be much more for the next cobra, i would say 40 to 45 for cobra and cobra vert. At the same time, I've also heard that the corvette will be getting a price hike too, so it will kind of even out in that aspect. In the end, I would be able to justify a 5k hike in the cobra's price, if and only if, as it came with all the goodies it does now ford also looked into making it lighter then the gt just as chevy did with the Z06 to go along with the hp.

Joe

If the Cobra and the Cobra vert are truely going for 40k+... Are we supposed to pray for inflation? :shrug:

If they start putting the 4v 4.6'es in the GT's you can bet those will cost atleast more than the mach1 does now (I'd say its looking close to 30 thousand for a 4v GT if the Cobra is upwards of 40 thousand). I dont know if I care for the sound of all this or not.

Last edited:

joeclams9

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
If the Cobra and the Cobra vert are truely going for 40k+... Are we supposed to pray for inflation? :shrug:

If they start putting the 4v 4.6'es in the GT's you can bet those will cost atleast more than the mach1 does now (I'd say its looking close to 30 thousand for a 4v GT if the Cobra is upwards of 40 thousand). I dont know if I care for the sound of all this or not.

Im not sure if I understand what your asking me here. All Im saying is that I would justify a price hike in the cobra if they lowered the weight alot over the regular models like corvette did. Not that I want it to cost more or feel it should under any other conditions. The bottom line for me is that the current cobra at its current price is a great deal, and if the next one can be 300 lbs lighter for 5k more, that would be fine too. I highly doubt your going to see this engine in the gt though, it goes against typical mustang marketing. This meaning that ford always tries to sell the lower models of the mustang with a decent price tag as bait. I highly doubt they would go above 30k with the gt and this would only happen if they put the cobra drivetrain in it. I think ford knows that they sell the way they do because of their price pricerange (gt), and you will not see such a jump in performance and price on that model.

Joe

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by joeclams9
Im not sure if I understand what your asking me here. All Im saying is that I would justify a price hike in the cobra if they lowered the weight alot over the regular models like corvette did. Not that I want it to cost more or feel it should under any other conditions. The bottom line for me is that the current cobra at its current price is a great deal, and if the next one can be 300 lbs lighter for 5k more, that would be fine too. I highly doubt your going to see this engine in the gt though, it goes against typical mustang marketing. This meaning that ford always tries to sell the lower models of the mustang with a decent price tag as bait. I highly doubt they would go above 30k with the gt and this would only happen if they put the cobra drivetrain in it. I think ford knows that they sell the way they do because of their price pricerange (gt), and you will not see such a jump in performance and price on that model.

Joe

The N/A 4v isnt actually a Cobra drive train anymore what with the only ones being made are 03 Mach1 Blocks now...

My question is now if the standard Cobra coupe ends up at 40k, are we looking at a Cobra R thats goina cost upwards of 70 thousand dollars? thats a bit steep even for an R IMO.

Mojo03

Established Member
You could add 5% each year for inflation. For example, my '01 cost 29 and change and my '03 cost 34,750 and there's two years difference in between those two. There's not going to be an '04 or '05 Cobra, so add 15% for the '06 and we're right near 40k. Ford knows this and how the market will grow with other performance wanna-bees like the GTO and others, so I'd bet that they'll be a nice improvement in the SVT Cobra. After 30 years fo tailing Chevy, do you really think Ford wants to give that up to either GM or even MOPAR????

Users who are viewing this thread