Autotap + PDA.....thoughts?

Bob Cosby

Established Member
...I am seriously considering buying the Autotap for Palm system to run more-or-less full time on my 2004 Cobra. The idea is to have several parameters available to me at a glance and/or push of a button, and not put gauges all over the interior (personal preference). Among the more important things I want to monitor are IAT1 and IAT2 temps, coolant temps, timing retard, fuel pressure, engine load, oil pressure, and others.

I'd mount the PDA semi-permanently somewhere in the area around the center vents (possibly using a cellular phone mount that slides into the vents) or in front of the shifter. The cords would be run behind the plastic as much as possible.

Looking for any thoughts, alternatives, advice, or further ideas on my idea. Also, if someone is running something similar, I'd be interested to hear what you think.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Bob,
I bought one of these at the local Verizon store for my Palm with GPS.

One more thought, Autotap does NOT have cables for all palms. Check out which cables they have, then get that palm model through eBay.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
autotap for win32 is slow and buggy, and their customer service is average at best. i hope you have better luck with autotap for palm.

there's a handful of dataloggers out there now. i would use a stand-alone unit and a palm or laptop rather than autotap, but again, thats due to my experience with autotap for win32 and they may have actually spent an extra hour or two on programming time on the palm version.

you dont have a flash tuner or anything? predator already datalogs, as does wideband commander and a couple of the sct products.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
PDubs said:
Looks interesting - thanks for the link.

SnakeBit said:
Bob,
I bought one of these at the local Verizon store for my Palm with GPS.
That has potential - thanks!

One more thought, Autotap does NOT have cables for all palms. Check out which cables they have, then get that palm model through eBay.
Ya, I called them and they sent me a list of all the Palms that were supported:

Palm IIIxe
Palm IIIc
Palm Vx
Palm VIIx
Palm m105
Palm m125
Palm m130
Palm m500
Palm m505
Palm m515
Palm i705
Palm Tungsten
Palm Tungsten T2
Palm Tungsten T3
Palm Tungsten W
Palm Tungsten C
Handera TRGpro
Handera 330
Palm Zire71

WILL NOT WORK
Palm 1000
Palm 5000
Palm Personal
Palm Professional
Palm III
Palm IIIe
Palm IIIe SE
Palm IIIx
Palm V
Palm VII
Palm m100
Palm Zire
Palm Zire21
Palm Tungsten E
Palm Zire 72
Palm Zire 31
Palm Tungsten T5

ShelbyGuy said:
autotap for win32 is slow and buggy, and their customer service is average at best. i hope you have better luck with autotap for palm.

there's a handful of dataloggers out there now. i would use a stand-alone unit and a palm or laptop rather than autotap, but again, thats due to my experience with autotap for win32 and they may have actually spent an extra hour or two on programming time on the palm version.
If you have any specific recommendations, I'm all ears. :) I've already checked out Autotap, the link above, and www.autoenginuity.com.

you dont have a flash tuner or anything? predator already datalogs, as does wideband commander and a couple of the sct products.
Yes I do, I have an XCalibrator. However, keeping in mind the intent I related in my original post, I'm looking for something that will monitor full time, basically all the time, and not have to have a bulky notebook computer in the car. If the Raptor would interface with a PDA, I'd seriously consider it.

Appreciate the responses - more input would certainly be welcomed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread