AutoX Class confirm

BraMas

Established Member
According to my interpretation of the SCCA rule book I believe my car is a ESP car but I just want to make sure. The group I usually run with loosely follow the SCCA rules but I plan on running some SCCA Solo events this year so I want to make sure I'm legal
Anyway here are my specs
96 GT with a 4V from 97 Cobra
IRS from a 04 Cobra
Weld in FLSFC's
18in rim with 265's all the way around
I did rebuild the engine recently and put in forged rods and pistons @ std. bore/stroke
Adj. cam gears
LT headers
Tubular K-member/arms with coil overs and C/C plates
I think that is all what is your opinions? I really don't want to run SM
Thank, Tim

mgsullivan

The Red Brick
Established Member
I think the IRS puts you in CP because you have changed the mounting points of your control arms.

If you are running a Maximum Motorsports K-member...CP.

BraMas

Established Member
But the IRS is a direct bolt in with no modifications to the chassis or am I misunderstanding the rule book?
The k-member is Granatelli (MM copy). Isn't CP for the full on Racecar class? I'm so screwed :(

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
But the IRS is a direct bolt in with no modifications to the chassis or am I misunderstanding the rule book?
The k-member is Granatelli (MM copy). Isn't CP for the full on Racecar class? I'm so screwed :(

Mgsullivan is correct about CP. You are not allowed to use an aftermarket K member in ESP. The rules do not allow for their use even if it is a direct bolt on. I run mustangs in ESP on a national level and trust me if K members were allowed we would have them.

Run CP and have a blast. Autocross is awesome so enjoy.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
You are forgetting one thing, R-comps. Trust me you want them. Mustangs are heavy and the SN95s don't turn for shit on street tires. Run as much camber (negative) and caster in the front as you can with 0 toe. For rear run zero toe and maybe a tiny bit of negative camber.

BraMas

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. So what is the difference in a SM and CP car? We don't get many CP cars that run with us but when they do they are pretty fast

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

mgsullivan

The Red Brick
Established Member
With SM you have to maintain most of the stock interior...CP you can gut. There are much more differences but I don't feel like quoting the rule book.

BraMas

Established Member
ya sorry that was a pretty dumb question :) I'll figure it out at least I know my car is not ESP anymore

ba#97

Established Member
you might fit in stu I believe? I'm not sure though. don't quote me on this. Idk how competitive you would be though. but then again I'm not sure coilovers are allowed in st....so...idk. lol. cp does sound right though but as advertised...you need r comps to be competitive at all in autox for the most part. no matter the class unless it's an st class obviously.

BraMas

Established Member
I also only do AutoX for fun and I know I wont be competitive A. because I cant afford R comp and B. well the driver kinda needs work :)
And the only reason I'm worried about the correct class is because I don't want to piss any SCCA drivers off when I go to an event because I thought my car was class XX and it should be class XXX. The more I read the rules it looks like my car technically is a CP car

rickdb

Established Member
" Seat Time"

It sounds like your giving yourself a headache trying to figure out " what class to run in "! If you are determined to run the proper class that your car falls under, to try and win the class or see how competetive you are then wait for the event day itself and consult the officials at the event. Your car "should be" teched before you run, and that person should definately know. The reality is if you don't win the event with Top Time of Day, or Win the class you ran in, " Nobody Cares " but you! It's when you start winning the class that you are scrutinized about what class you should be running in!
So, moral of the story is either run Street Modified or even better just Fun Run and see how competetive your times are with the different classes at the end of the day.

Boss002

Established Member
your car gets higher classed the more mods I've read...

ESP with irs and weld in subframes and longtubes,
Motor changes, coil overs.... CP
IRS = SM because CP doesn't allow the IRS and your already past ESP

and then it comes down to how much of your interior you have if you have to go higher than SM or not

ba#97

Established Member
your car gets higher classed the more mods I've read...

ESP with irs and weld in subframes and longtubes,
Motor changes, coil overs.... CP
IRS = SM because CP doesn't allow the IRS and your already past ESP

and then it comes down to how much of your interior you have if you have to go higher than SM or not

esp allows coilovers. it allows a lot actually. you just get into the cp world once you start moving or swapping motors and changing up mounting points. you're correct on irs and cp...I believe cp is solid rear axle only. bp is where the irs comes in. if I'm not mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread