AV gurus need advice on hdmi routing

forbanger

Established Member
How would your route all HDMI connections between TV,cable box,bluray, and Xbox 360?
TV has 3 inputs and soundbar has 2 inputs and 1 output. Do I load up the TV route it to soundbar and back to TV?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
HDMI is two way so no need to route it back. I'd plug your three devices to the TV then the TV to the sound bar.

Last edited:

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
HDMI is two way so no need to route it back. I'd plug your the devices to the TV then the TV to the sound bar.

Yep. Most TV's I've heard with a sound bar have the sound coming from the sound bar only, and the tv speakers are disabled. Sounds best this way IMO, depending on the quality of your sound bar of course.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Probably so you can daisy chain it to a audio receiver or something. Depending on the sound bar could have sound processing like bass boost or similar so you could effect the output. Cant really think of a good use though. Although it allows two communication you usually still have in and outs the two way is more for settings, and authentication bs.

Last edited:

forbanger

Established Member
Now that I think about it, I am still missing 1 HDMI input on the TV to hook everything up. According to the sound bar instructions the HDMI out is ARC? I may have to use one of the soundbars input to make all of them work. And use the out to go into the TV.
Hmmmm confused.

TK Doom

Established Member
If your TV has an optical out and the sound bar does as well:

All HDMI's into the TV, optical out to the Sound bar.

Done.

Most i've seen have an optical in, and the the TVs i have also have optical outs...thats it.

No HDMI to the soundbar. Although if it doesn't have an optical in, then the HDMI ARC channel should be used.

Optical cable is cheaper than HDMI though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread