Average cost of a repaint?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
What is the average cost of a repaint? I would like to one day have my car repainted. I want to keep it the stock color (laser Red). It just has some small scratches here and there. Everone says that it is fine, and just to leave it be, but I want it looking showroom again. I am not looking for the most technological high end paint job, just one that is going to refresh it and make it look showroom again.

white97

Established Member
my dad and i own a body shop and we do completes for about 3 to 4 thousand, put your color is a tri coat so it might be alittle more

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Call MAACO. I heard they do a great job for damn cheap. I think they only paint the outside, or what is visible from the outside. But someone told me it was a only a few hundred tho. look into it if you arent looking for a 'technological high end paint job'.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
With all the work some of us put into our cars, I would tear the $300 up and throw it away before I'd go to MAKO or any other Jack-Leg paint shop. Just my opinion ...

The repaint jobs I've priced in San Antonio were in the $4000 range.

Last edited:

Rev Happy

Established Member
"With all the work some of us put into our cars, I would tear the $300 up and throw it away before I'd go to MAKO or any other Jack-Leg paint shop. Just my opinion" Dano

Ya really... Stop being cheap and either have the car painted right or don't paint it at all...

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Well, some of us can't afford 3-4 thousand. I am not looking for a Macco job however. Maybe Earl Shrive.. JK.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
3-4 grand for a basic respray?? Damn, does that include all the jambs, r&r the engine?? Me and my friend usually charge about $1500 and around $2500 for a color change and that is with us stripping the car to a shell.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by TwoToneFreak
3-4 grand for a basic respray?? Damn, does that include all the jambs, r&r the engine?? Me and my friend usually charge about $1500 and around $2500 for a color change and that is with us stripping the car to a shell.

That is what I thought. I just want an exterior repaint. Jams, engine bay, etc is fine as is.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I realize you will pay more depending on the shop but that seems way too steep no matter where you are in the US. I know that we charge a fair amount mainly b/c we aren't a shop, but our work is top notch and you will be hard pressed to find a shop here locally that would put as much detail effort into a job as we do. Every shop here in town charges $1000 to $2200 for a basic respray and that includes the bodywork. I know that the tricoat is more expensive to buy the product but as far as any more labor intensive to spray it isn't.

Lawman

Established Member
3 to 4 thousand is very steep. The average re-paint should be around 2K. But if he has customers that are willing to pay 3-4K for a paint job, then good for him.

SSlayer96

Wheeeeeee!!
Established Member
I was goin 2 say 3-4K! Ouch, I had everything repainted on my Cobra for only 2K and that was 3 coats of Crystal White and Clear Coat. I also knew the guy very well also, have to figure that in.

Lawman

Established Member
Hey SSLayer96, you are definitely right about knowing someone. I have a friend that has been in the bodywork bus. for about 15 years. I would trust him with anything I own and he does outstanding work. That is definitely the problem with mechanics/bodyshop men- finding one that is honest, and that you can trust.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
TwoToneFreak

Hey, hold that thought. Maybe I can bring mine up there sometime & get it painted. What part of the state are you in?
I think I mentioned this before, but I'm getting desperate now ...

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by SSlayer96
I was goin 2 say 3-4K! Ouch, I had everything repainted on my Cobra for only 2K and that was 3 coats of Crystal White and Clear Coat. I also knew the guy very well also, have to figure that in.

Hook me up with a name, I'm in the NOVa area and will be needing a repaint sometime.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I am right on the ARK/ OK border. Around 4-5 hrs. from Dallas. Just let me know. Right now we are in the process of getting my friend's (the one who paints and does bodywork with me) notch ready for paint. Just let me know exactly what you want done and we can talk specifics, I can also round up some pics of cars he has done himself and others I have helped with.

white97

Established Member
sorry i miss understood about leaving the door edges and so on, with that said it would be about 2, with lazer red you have about 5 to 6 layers of color. first is the red and then there is a candy color to give it that maroon color. after that we usually put 3-4 coats of clear and then da it with 800 grit till perfecty smooth and folow that up with 1200 to 2000 grit water sanding to insure it looks like glass when its buffed. i will admit that sometimes were alittle high but its perfect when it leaves.

Users who are viewing this thread