Average cost of a repaint?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by white97
sorry i miss understood about leaving the door edges and so on, with that said it would be about 2, with lazer red you have about 5 to 6 layers of color. first is the red and then there is a candy color to give it that maroon color. after that we usually put 3-4 coats of clear and then da it with 800 grit till perfecty smooth and folow that up with 1200 to 2000 grit water sanding to insure it looks like glass when its buffed. i will admit that sometimes were alittle high but its perfect when it leaves.

They now make the laser red in a single stage. I have seen what it looks like, and it is an exact match. So that helps with price a bit.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Originally posted by Dano

The repaint jobs I've priced in San Antonio were in the $4000 range.

eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
I guess i'll have to go buy alot of cans of Krylon.:bash:

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by white97
have you ever though of just having the car buffed out before you paint it. might be surprised at how good it will come out

Not when you have rock damage, and a few scratches here and there that you can see the primer on.

Nordi

I'll never grow up!
Established Member
Hissman They now make the laser red in a single stage. I have seen what it looks like, and it is an exact match. So that helps with price a bit.

HISSMAN, where can you get single stage Laser Red? I need to get my door jambs painted. Single stage would be so much easier. By the way, thanks for the deal on the CAI. Everbody thinks it looks great. Did you leave the screen out of the MAF when you had it installed? I couldn't get it to fit with the screen in.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Nordi
HISSMAN, where can you get single stage Laser Red? I need to get my door jambs painted. Single stage would be so much easier. By the way, thanks for the deal on the CAI. Everbody thinks it looks great. Did you leave the screen out of the MAF when you had it installed? I couldn't get it to fit with the screen in.

Glad to hear from you again. And i am glad you are happy with the CAI. yes, you have to take the screen out. It was a PITA to figure it out though.

On the paint..I don't know if it is available at stores yet, but I have talked to a few paint and body guys who have used it. There are three different paints. One is darker, one is lighter, and one is in the middle. they match one of the three up to your car, and the closest one is the one you get. And believe me it is so close that I can't tell the diff.

Nordi

I'll never grow up!
Established Member
Yeah, I'm real happy with it. Now it has that cool sucking sound when you blip the throttle at idle. If and when the paint becomes available, if you can , let me know at [email protected] . By the way, your intake and throttle body look SWEET! :thumbsup:

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
If I remember correctly I think it is avaliable in single stage by Nasson or even Omni. This time around on mine I am going House of Kolor "Blue Blood Red" and I haven't decided on an exact shade of silver but it will also be House of Kolor.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I have done several cars and bikes with Omni, as a matter of fact I used Omni when I sprayed my car last year. Several cars my friend and I have done in Omni have had compliments from the best damn painters in this area/ state on how nice they were, and couldn't believe that we did it with the paint we used and also that a well known shop didn't spray it. Yes Nasson and Omni are cheap, I prefer House of Kolor or PPG, but I have had very good luck with them.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
It all matters on how much the guy wants to spend, if he wants a good job w/out having to break the bank on supplies we will use Omni, if he can afford PPG, House, or any other top brand we will. But as you know quality prep work, attention to detail and a quality job of wet sanding and buffing is where it all matters, granted a quality base coat and clear helps, but w/out a good final detailing the job will not be up to snuff.

white97

Established Member
yes i know but i just dont want this guy to paint it and wish he did it with clear coat later. im not trying to diss on anyone for using it, if it worked for you great glad to hear it did. but everytime you wax single stage your towels the color of the car, who want to rub the paint of there car everytime they wax it. ive been in this buisness for 6 years. my dad for 34 years and my grandpa god knows how long. And the only time we use single stage is on fleet vehicles cuz the owner knows they r gonna get beat up and doesnt want to spend the money. if your gonna paint it i would save up some extra a go with clear coat, youll be glad you did. I will agree with two tone freak it does come down to a good buff job to pull it all together. Im just putting in my 2 cents and that is all, but i would strongly recomend going with a clear coat, why not the factory does it this way and if the factory did i would do, theres a reason for it.

white97

Established Member
we stick with just ppg. love it. the only thing we shot in dupont was my z. and that was just the chromalusion everything else was ppg

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I am not talking about Omni single stage, Two stage. I don't like single for the reasons you posted above. My opinion single does okay but after about a year it is dulled again, kinda like when using "neon" type colors, no matter what you do, they are gonna fade after a while.

white97

Established Member
That diff then, but i would still say maybe wait just abit longer and save up some extra money if possible. Grant it when i paint my stuff i just pay supplies at my cost so its cheap for me, but i have been in the situation where i was glad wait and save alittle bit more and got the better product, i just dont want someone take a car they love to death and put something on it hes not sure about and down the road look at the car and say man i wish i would have done it alittle better, if ya know what i mean. Im glad to hear it worked good for you though, keep up the good work

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
We are the same way, we try to get them to buy the good stuff, but you know how most of the consumers are they want it as cheap as they can get it, if they will not at least use Omini, we won't even bother with it and I refuse to do a shitty job, b/c one shitty job is all it takes to lose credibilty and any extra funds I would have gained by the sidework. I won't slack on someone else's ride, b/c I would kill someone if they slacked on mine. I refuse do just do a touch up job or a "bang up" job for someone who is selling their ride, b/c they will def. tell whoever buys it, who painted it, and when the paint goes to shit in a few months, they will blab your name to anyone who ask why the paint looks the way it does. I would rather have someone say if you want it done right talk to these guys. I also get my supplies at cost due to my uncle owning a body shop and also my cost through work.

white97

Established Member
i will agree with ya on the name part, one mistake and its alot of money out the door. I to dont want shit work done to my car, as for the paint on my car its like brand new, 97 with 19,000 will look that way, as for the mod the only thing i havent done was the springs and rear gears and my mechanics shop was a block away so he knew i would be in to check on it and knows to do top notch work and thats why i refer him, cuz he does it right. anyways i think this guy has enough info to decide which way hes gonna go dont ya think. heres a link of the z if you would like to see the mystic paint its on page three http://members.cardomain.com/4valvedroptop

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Nice ride man. I have done everything to my ride myself except set up the gears, b/c I didn't have the tools too at the time, but I now do!

Users who are viewing this thread