Aviator crank

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
Does anyone know if the aviator DOHC has the 8 bolt forged crank? I can pick one up for cheap and want to use the heads in a future build but for now want to swap it in to my 01' Cobra.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I would say most likely NOT.

I'm showing Marauder's come with the exact same crank.

Automatics profide a shock cushion for the crank and crank bolts. Ford probably said "not needed".

Cobra's are all sticks. Those cranks get shocked pretty hard and also some have counter weight inside for high RPM durability.

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
yeap you will need a 6 bolt flywheel that the GTs come with but it has different balance well i mixed lincoln and Cobra parts and it didn't work just my own experience

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Agreed. It's a cast 6 bolt crank. I have this crank in my car right now. It came with the aviator longblock. I would recommend not looking for one specifically. A cobra crank itself is easy enough to come by.

The only reason why I have one is because I got a complete aviator motor CHEAP. I didnt have the extra money to put a forged rotating assembly in it at the time.

Using a GT 6-bolt flywheel presents many problems. First, luiSVT99 pointed out that they dont balance well, and second, the GT flywheel is smaller, and you'll have to change your clutch for a GT-size replacement.

I knew I had to change the flywheel, but I had just installed a brand new SPEC Stage III clutch with a previous 8-bolt engine, and didnt feel like getting another new clutch IN ADDITION to a different flywheel. No way. Fidanza makes a 6-bolt cobra aluminum flywheel that's designed for this application. $300 bucks. Solved.

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
Well I already have a ACT flywheel in the car so I might pass on it then. I really only wanted the heads for a BB/stroker I am building next year. I am looking for a temporary replacement for my current motor. It is on the weak side due to a poor quality rebuild I didn't know about untill after I bought the car. I thought I kill two birds with one stone by getting a used longblock with the newer DOHC heads. Looks like the only other way would be a 04 5spd Mach 1 motor.

Users who are viewing this thread