B heads or C heads?

CobraKid98

Established Member
I have a 98 cobra. Eventually I want to turbo it. Even with all the head talk around i find myself a bit confused still. Which are better for boost? Id like c heads because theyre better for NA for before I go FI but if my b heads would be better once I turbo then I dont want to do the swap. Think Id be happy with around 600 whp...for a while at least haha

2 cam sam

Established Member
I wouldn't changing them if your going to run boost. My 97 makes 609 rwhp on 15 pounds of boost on b heads.

97PacificGreen

Established Member
I've done a lot of reading lately of this issue. A lot of b head guys agree that the b shine with fi and pull great in higher rpm range.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I've done a lot of reading lately of this issue. A lot of b head guys agree that the b shine with fi and pull great in higher rpm range.

B heads make less power both off and on boost and at any RPM. Where Cs shine is off boost, midrange and also in spooling turbos quicker.

Once again, Bs do not make more power at higher RPMs.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Turbocharged B head guy here and my biggest regret is that I ever spent any money on the B heads. I wish I would have just picked up a set of C heads and intake.

Expurple

Established Member
I'm going to get burned for this but here goes.

If your going Turbo just save the money on heads and spend it elsewhere.

The C heads are better overall but I'm sure you can get close ( to using C heads ) performance by using what you already have.

From the numbers I have seen on the forums 96-2004 cobra heads all have great response to boost.

Last edited:

CobraKid98

Established Member
Im not planning on going past 7000. Also besides just better peak power I think Im more concerned with the overall power and torque. I know I could get 600 with b heads but Id like to have the motor be more "efficient" if you will throughout the powerband. Also IDK when Ill be turboing it, so if I could get a decent amount of performance from the swap while NA also then that is a big deal.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
if you "just" want 600 hp with a proper power adder you dont NEED to do a c head swap but it would be beneficial

05 aviator heads preferably. those with stock sn95 cams and you can see 4 digit power

TurboSVT96

Established Member
Stock 99 Cobra C heads here with 95lb springs. Love them. Power is smooth on and off boost. If you do plan on going turbo later, 95lb springs are a must.

CobraKid98

Established Member
haha of course. I meant more like the feeling or experience. Just a curious guy wondering how it might be. Just would kinda suck if you did the swap and didnt really notice a difference. But im sure u will a bit.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
haha of course. I meant more like the feeling or experience. Just a curious guy wondering how it might be. Just would kinda suck if you did the swap and didnt really notice a difference. But im sure u will a bit.

i certainly wasnt talking about myself if you thought thats what i was implying lol

doing a c head swap and psri will give you 20-30hp
i cant be of more help with hp numbers as i have not be in the NA game for awhile

you'll notice it! and by keeping your cams you will be even better off then the mach 1 guys

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
but again, if you are just doing a built bottom end and turbo kit to hit 600 and dont care about anything else stock B heads are fine. if the power adder will support it, so will the heads

the worlds quickest mod motor has B heads and ran a 6.0x @ 23x

Users who are viewing this thread