[B]Whats a good road bicycle?[/B]

stevieb

Established Member
I have a mtn bike but now Im looking to get a road bicycle. Does anyone have any suggestionson a decent bike in the $500-$800 range? Im 5'9" and when I was fitted for my mtn bike the guy screwed up and sold me a 16.5" frame (too small), so I like to stretch out some.
Looking for something with very good quality (but not insane) where the componants could be rebuilt and hopefully something that the tires wont pop when hitting a pothole or driveway. Any info would be great.

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
stevieb said:
I have a mtn bike but now Im looking to get a road bicycle. Does anyone have any suggestionson a decent bike in the $500-$800 range? Im 5'9" and when I was fitted for my mtn bike the guy screwed up and sold me a 16.5" frame (too small), so I like to stretch out some.
Looking for something with very good quality (but not insane) where the componants could be rebuilt and hopefully something that the tires wont pop when hitting a pothole or driveway. Any info would be great.

For that kinda money you are better off looking in the used market. you will get more for your $$. You should find out your size first before looking....do not go to the guy who fit you for your mtn. bike 16.5 is for someone 5'5"-5'6"

I'm not going to list all the major brands but stay away from a Dept. store bike...something like Trek,Cannondale, Specialized are all good bikes.

I run 23c's for tires and do not get pinch flats....the big mistake a lot of people make is not putting enough air in them.

p.s. ride around the potholes ;-)

Dave

blueoval4ever

голубой овал на всегда
Established Member
You can buy a nice used Cannondale in that price range. Bike shops almost always have a pretty good inventory of used bikes. Thats the route I would go on a limited budget.

stevieb

Established Member
I have a trek 930 and I am happy with it, mainly bought it because its USA made. I forgot to mention for what I want to spend I for sure would look for used and I would never buy dept store junk.
I am familiar with Trek, Specialized and Ive heard Cannondale at least in Mtn bikes were not that good, but that was 10 years ago.
What are good componants to look for on a road bike? :thumbsup:

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
stevieb said:
I have a trek 930 and I am happy with it, mainly bought it because its USA made. I forgot to mention for what I want to spend I for sure would look for used and I would never buy dept store junk.
I am familiar with Trek, Specialized and Ive heard Cannondale at least in Mtn bikes were not that good, but that was 10 years ago.
What are good componants to look for on a road bike? :thumbsup:

cannodale made some very good bikes...their mtn frames were stiff and fast I won a lot of races on them.

I currently have a Titanium Merlin Fat Beat mtn bike it has a cannodale headshock front end and a Moots softail rear end. I have owned it since 2000 and I don't even look at other bikes anymore...it's perfect.

My road bike is a Cannondale R3000 w/full Dura ace with mavic Ksyrium's...I like it very much but some day I'll get a Seven :rolling:

Dave

stevieb

Established Member
Sitting here reading all about this good stuff gave me an idea. Is it possible for me to buy the bike in new parts and build one for somewhat less? I thought of this as my son is big time into bmx and he buys frame/wheels/bars/etc which are better quality than an off the shelf bike and assembles it from the ground up. Can this be said for a quality road bike?

Users who are viewing this thread