Backfiring issue

egsvt98

Established Member
ok I'm at a loss here so maybe you guys can throw some ideas at me. I have an 03 gt has trickflow heads, CMS stage 3 cams with accel 24/lb injectors. At WOT car runs great but regular driving under load in 4th gear the car starts bogging and backfiring out of the exhaust but once you put your foot down it goes away just changed plugs with ford plugs. I have msd COP and they only have about 800 miles on them. I'm at a loss any ideas?

Coyote-SVT

Established Member
I had a 95 Gt that would do that exact thing and it ended up being a bad O2 sensor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SVTCobraMang

Coils (even new ones can be bad) or FPR (Fuel pressure dropping at WOT)

Basically you say light foot driving it backfires meaning fuel starved, but wot it's fine meaning it's getting enough fuel then for wot. Sounds like regulator isn't putting enough fuel through.

Last edited:

bobby_0081

Established Member
ok I'm at a loss here so maybe you guys can throw some ideas at me. I have an 03 gt has trickflow heads, CMS stage 3 cams with accel 24/lb injectors. At WOT car runs great but regular driving under load in 4th gear the car starts bogging and backfiring out of the exhaust but once you put your foot down it goes away just changed plugs with ford plugs. I have msd COP and they only have about 800 miles on them. I'm at a loss any ideas?
Swap out the 02 sensors and only buy new ones from Ford or Motorcraft. My 2002 GT gave me a fit and would run great at WOT but spit, pop, buck, and surge after I put Bosch 02 sensors in it and I went straight to Ford and got two new Motorcraft ones and my problem was solved. Also make sure if you are running extension harnesses that there's no moisture or corrosion in the plugs. I had that once too and had to buy new harnesses after driving through some pretty deep water. Now I also use a big gob of die electric grease and that hasn't happened again either.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread