backup plan

good4me

Established Member
I am heading to brandon ford tommorow to see jack roush and to possibly purchase a 03 cobra.

I am needing a backup plan as to if i cant get into the cobra, should i wait a little while and get into an 04 in a few months, get into a 360r with 24,xxx miles and get into a 06 cobra or look to getting into a saleen s 351 for 31000 and then get into an 06 cobra out. the roush has a 1 year of warrenty and the saleen is out of warrenty. Im a little hesitant to spend 31000 on a car with no warrenty.

what is the opinion of the roush's and saleens? good build quality, reliability and is either one worth the money, or should i go with a newer car?

sir-blah

Established Member
Wow, and S351 would be awesome. That 360R is tempting too. I would hate to have to make the decision you have in front of you. No disappointment any way you go though. As far a warrantee goes, the warrantee on the Cobra is basically useless anyway.

Last edited:

good4me

Established Member
Originally posted by sir-blah
As far a warrantee goes, the warrantee on the Cobra is basically useless anyway.

As they say in the bud commercials "True"

PhillyCobra

Established Member
If you can get a good deal on a 2003 Cobra I would definitely go that direction. Much more performance than Roush or Saleen for the money. Less bling factor, though.

The warrantee is NOT worthless. Some guys have had problems getting coverage, but almost universally because of performance mods. It really is rare to have warrantee coverage denied-- you only hear the worst stories on this forum. Remember, the warranty covers a lot of stuff besides the engine and drivetrain-- stuff that often goes bad (electrical, etc.) and is expensive to fix.

Honestly, almost everyone with a 2003 Cobra loves their car.

good4me

Established Member
i know the warrenty covers a lot and when things dont go right with the coverage, things on here do stand out because people on here have a chance to keep reading what is going wrong multiple times because its posted on the internet and not a friendly chat with friend that you can forget, so things on message boards do have a tendancy to stick in peoples minds because they keep reading the stories.

an 03 would be nice, but for some reason, the dealers have it stuck in thier head that should still be getting full sticker.

the more i think about it, the more im leaning towards the 351, that thing is just a freaking beast.

im just concerned with the reliability issues with the roush/saleen cars.

so, anyone who owns any of those cars, could you give me you likes/dislikes?

Thanks.

vipergts281

Established Member
Off Topic:: PhillyCobra- Is your Cobra a vert? Because I saw a SB 03 vert last night, twice. Once at the Phila Int'l Airport and once in my area. Just trying to see if he/she is on this board.

As for the topic at hand......I'd say go with the 03 Cobra. But having a S-351 would be awesome. I have always wanted a 99 S-351.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
The S351 is nice, but I would never touch a Saleen again after owning one. The 360R is quick (not as quick as the 03) but it still has the Eaton M90 and the stripes are ugly as hell (especially on white).

Steedas, Roushes, are over priced like the saleen when you compare them to the 03. IMO, you will kick yourself down the road if you don't get the 03. There are a bunch left, winter is right around the corner, the 04s will be out very very soon so the dealers will do pretty much anything to get rid of them.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
i used to think the s351 was a bad ass car, but then i found out saleen realy dropped the ball on the fuel system, it is not capable of supplying fuel to a motor that makes that much power. the 360r is nice, but if i was going that route, i would buy a gt and slap a blower on it, body kit it, and do a few suspension mods. which is all they do, and they charge out the yang for it. when i bought my 03 a salesman was trying to sell me on a stage 3 roush. he was talking about it being a wonderfull package, and it being factory nice. well, i saved quite a bit of money buying a cobra over it, got 4 valve heads, irs (good or bad, you decide) a T56, equal brakes, and much more potential. i'd buy a cobra. and if that failed, i would either buy used, or wait for the '04s

Weasel

Established Member
Get the 03 ! There are still a bunch around and if you're dealer won't deal on one post here and people will put you on track to find a new one for under 30K.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Well I'll say one thing......

Word of mouth travels FAST! And bad reputations travels 1000x faster than a good reputation. Hence all the stories of warranty denials. I mean look at most of us, we're ALL mod'd. And you go in for warranty and expect it to get covered? Id hope not. There is also alot of other stuff thats covered under warranty, in spite of mods on the car.

Id go for the 03 Cobra, if not hold out for the 06 Cobras. But having that S351 would be nice. Definitely an exclusive car, if you're into that, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread