bad fuel???

Drkshdwmach1

Established Member
So I pi swapped my 97 gt but it was a tooth off but we were unable to work on it for 6 months and so the car sat for that time and we got it fixed and running but a short time after my check engine light came on and I had the computer checked it threw up and error code and I believe the code was 172 or something it meant that bank 1 and bank 2 were running lean which meant led me to replace the mass air flow sensor and the fuel regulator so I did I also went ahead and put a new fuel filter in the car but it hasn't had any new fuel put in it yet but while idling the rpms jump from 700-1000 sometimes 1200 im wondering if its bad fuel or something electrical. but when its driving its fine until I try to get on it then it breaks up really bad and seems to struggle to climb through the rpms. ive had bad spark plugs and misfires but it doesn't feel like those it feels much much worse and I don't know what it could be any advice would be greatly appreciated

SVTPete83

Established Member
I got about 50 words in and decided it was too hard to read. Someone translate please.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Not absolutely but it's a good, cheap start, ethanol is horrible, replace the filters, hose out the throttle body, even clean it up with an old toothbrush and carb cleaner, then do the same to the TPS and idle motor and see what happens then.
I was thinking about this a little more (I just rebuilt the car on my Kawasaki ATV) the funk that ethanol leaves when it evaporates is not like the old fuel, that "varnish" will clear up with a lot of fuel flow, the crap that ethanol leaves is more crusty, you may throw in some injector cleaner to help you out.

Last edited:

Drkshdwmach1

Established Member
I replaced the fuel filter put new gas in I put mid grade in it with a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner. and it still says its running lean ive replaced both the fuel pressure regulator and the maf sensor and the problem has not resolved itself any ideas???

Users who are viewing this thread