Bad News for '04 owners in the Stereo Dept.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Well guys,

It appears that the 2004 head units not only changed plug style on the back to Phase II style plugs, but the head unit did not get changer control ability in its software. The unit has a CD/AUX button, but the head unit will not understand or control a CDDJ device. How did we get so lucky?

On a related note. My Phatbox MP3 player w/ 40GB cartridge is now for sale to anyone with a 2003 cobra, since there is officially NO WAY to make it work with my stereo.

MSRP: $898

Comes with Player, 40GB Cartridge, software, USB 2.0 cradle, and power cord.

Asking $500

PM me if interested.

I had been holding on to it, praying that one of these new cables or interfaces would solve the problem and I could use it.:(

Last edited:

MG01SVT

citius, fortius
Established Member
Just a suggestion and forgive me if I am way off base, but what about just finding someone with an 03 head unit who has no intentions of modding their stereo and swapping with them. That way you will not take a hit on your 900 buck investment. Not sure if the rest of the connections in the 04 are compatible, but it may be worth a shot.

Good luck

Aaron

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Nope, won't work, unfortunately. The '04 head units have different plugs on the back. It wont plug into an '03, nor will an '03 head unit plug into an '04. I'd have to change out the entire wiring harness from head unit to speakers/amps.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Originally posted by MG01SVT
Just a suggestion and forgive me if I am way off base, but what about just finding someone with an 03 head unit who has no intentions of modding their stereo and swapping with them. That way you will not take a hit on your 900 buck investment. Not sure if the rest of the connections in the 04 are compatible, but it may be worth a shot.

Good luck

Aaron

Nice sig picture. I'd like to compliment you on your good taste.

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by AtomHeart
Nope, won't work, unfortunately. The '04 head units have different plugs on the back. It wont plug into an '03, nor will an '03 head unit plug into an '04. I'd have to change out the entire wiring harness from head unit to speakers/amps.

A good installer should be able to make an adapter harness for you. Companies like Metra and Scosche sell the male and female plugs with the wiring attached. All you should need is a female set to plug into the 04 harness, and a male set to go into the 03 radio. Verify all of the wiring, and you should be able to connect the two plugs together and plug it in between the 03 radio and the 04 harness. This should work unless there are more differences in the radios and the rest of the Mach system for that matter.

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Do they say why they did that? Sounds like sucha frivilious thing to change unless theres something important that they're not letting us know.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Apparently all Ford stereos are going to "Phase II" protocol. Worldplug has worked fine for so many years, that it just boggles my mind that they would have changed it in the MIDDLE of a model run. Why couldn't they have waited till the '05 model to switch over?! It's just insane.

Yes, it would be a great thing if I could just get some adapters that changed it back to worldplug. I have no idea if there is any differences other than the shape of the plugs or not. There could be different current and signal protocols that would prevent that, but I'll check those two companies and see if THEY can help me. Maybe I wont have to sell my Phatbox just yet. Hehehe.

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Yeah seriuosly, leave it to Ford to change something in the middle of a production run. I'm sure everyone remembers when Ford decided to switch tranny's on the GT right in the middle of the 01 model.

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Well, you would need components, but you could just re-wire the car... I wanted to use my headunit too, but I would have to get all new components in the car (damn ohms...) Just a thought.. might be better then taking a bath on your HU...

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Well, no luck with either Metra or Scosche.

So I'm left with either changing to a 2003 head unit and replacing my entire stereo wiring harness (which isn't going to happen), or selling the Phatbox to someone who already has a 2003.

I think I'll just sell the phatbox. I'll put it up on E-bay in a couple days if I don't get anyone interested on here.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Yes, I believe that is possible, but again, nobody makes the male plugs for the 2004 head unit. You have to have a line level converter, and I dont see how you would connect that to your wiring harness without the phase II style plugs. Scosche definitely makes one of those converters, tough. It allows you to plug your new head unit into it via the preamp outs. You would then have to CUT the connectors off your car harness to figure out how to wire it into your car. And you would still have to tap in to your power and everything on your own. It's a big mess, but a professional stereo installer SHOULD be able to do that one.

Last edited:

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
maybe they just wanted something different to do because they where bored since they wont have anything until the 07 cobras. no 05 cobras

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Damn, I'm more glad that I bought this car when i did. '07 sounds way too far away. Hopefully by then, I'll have added an STi to my stable.

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
i kno i'm freaking out, i gotta get mine sooon, i think i might have to stop being picky and get another color besides sonic blue even though i dont want to at all. , maybe black

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Get Redfire! Its the red version of Sonic Blue!! Its PREEEEEETTY!

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
yeah redfire is really nice., i think if nto sonic blue redfire,silver,black

Mystichrome

Spoiler Delete
Established Member
If you use a 2004 head unit from a mach 1000 system and the rest of the components will it plug in to the cobra harness

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Scenario A: Ford puts aftermarket compatible components in our cars so we can easily buy better than Ford aftermarket components to replace the factory components. Dollars Ford receives from customers to upgrade their stereos = not many. Aftermarket stuff is generally better and cheaper.

Scenario B: Ford uses odd size components and proprietary set ups in our cars systems. Customers spend $ upgrading to other Ford components [Mach 1000, etc.]. Dollars Ford receives from customers to upgrade their stereos = much more than Scenario A.

Which scenario will corporate thinking Ford choose??? :shrug:

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
Scenario A: Ford puts aftermarket compatible components in our cars so we can easily buy better than Ford aftermarket components to replace the factory components. Dollars Ford receives from customers to upgrade their stereos = not many. Aftermarket stuff is generally better and cheaper.

Scenario B: Ford uses odd size components and proprietary set ups in our cars systems. Customers spend $ upgrading to other Ford components [Mach 1000, etc.]. Dollars Ford receives from customers to upgrade their stereos = much more than Scenario A.

Which scenario will corporate thinking Ford choose??? :shrug:

I think you hit the nail on the head there.:idea:

But if you are going to swap out the head unit why not do the crappy speakers at the same time? I kinda wish that Ford woould make the mach stereo systems an option, because I usually end up ripping it all out anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread