Bad oil leak not sure where from.

USAmusclefan777

Hey everyone, this is my first post so forgive me for any errors, I just recently bought a Torch Red 2003 Terminator, and when I left church on Sunday, there was a very large puddle of oil in the parking spot I left. I immediately went to the same place I had the oil changed almost 2 weeks ago, thinking they probably didn't tighten something. They inspected under the car and said the leak seemed to be coming from around the oil pan but weren't sure if it was from the pan gasket, or the crankshaft front seal or rear main seal and that there was also a dent in the oil pan. I haven't been able to get under there my self to see the dent or the leak because all my tools, jacks, ramps, etc. are back home. Any buddy have any ideas on what it might be? If I need the pan replaced, any suggestions? It was smoking a little bit when sitting at stop lights, smelt burnt, but when I smelt the oil it smelt like plain 'ol synthetic oil.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My guess would be the oil cooler. There's a pin that run through the center that comes loose and causes leaks.

cj428mach

Established Member
Don't take your car to any place that changes oil and can't you if an oil leak is coming from the front seal, oil pan or rear main.

I could see being unclear if the its the pan gasket or the rear main but come on if the front cover is oily its not the rear main.

USAmusclefan777

I won't be able to work on it for a few months, as I'll be out of town. When I get back should I just replace the stock "oil cooler" with one of the aftermarket ones, and do a remote oil filter and oil cooler? If so, any recommendations? From now on I'll be doing my own maintenance, I just figured I'd be a little trickier getting under it and changing the oil than in my '71. Thanks for all the great input as well.

Users who are viewing this thread