Bad pcv , can it cause a lost in boost pressure

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Brought it yesterday. Changed pcv valve, and did the smoke test after. All was good. Got in it and my supercharger made that high pitched wine like it used to. I don't think my boost was down 6 lbs( probably the gauge was reading wrong), but now it definitely sounds like it was where it was supposed to be. It definitely felt more powerful, especially between 2,000 to 3000 rpm. Datalogged it this morning, and sent it off. Something still ain't right. They told me to check intercooler pump to make sure it's working(it is working),but they really thinking I have a bad o2 sensor. They said my two banks are off pretty bad, and my car is only giving 10-12 degrees of timing( I am not sure what it should be, but I guess it should be higher obviously). Anyway I ordered 2 new o2 sensors(they only 60 a piece) and will change them next week. Then will data log and try again lol.

You did see a lot of movement of fluid in the IC tank? A bad IC pump will cause a tremedous loss of power. The pump on the Lightning went bad in the past and similar symptons.

Islandcat

Established Member
You did see a lot of movement of fluid in the IC tank? A bad IC pump will cause a tremedous loss of power. The pump on the Lightning went bad in the past and similar symptons.

Yea I checked the smaller tank on driver side( I think that is correct one). Anyway fluid was almost spitting out the top when I removed the cap it was sloshing around in it so hard.

Yea they kinda was leaning to the intercooler pump at first. The main problem is I can't datalog the iat2 cause I am datalogging with the x3 directly. They are doing what they can with what I send them, but they want me to upload live link 2 again. I already downloaded it once but it won't let me datalog everything like I want. They want me to reload it and try again. Hopefully that will help us nail it down. Gonna do that Monday.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Good luck man. Persistence will always win out when dealing with a problem. There is a history of these IC pumps intermittantly cutting out. Pull the connector off the pump, and shoot some contact cleaner in there if the O2's don't fix your problem.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
These cars pull timing quick once IAT2's start getting up. I'd definitely spend some time making sure the intercooler pump is doing its job.

Islandcat

Established Member
Are you on the stock heat exchanger? Also have you changed your plugs recently?

Stock exchanger

I usually change my plugs once a year. It's about time to change them again.

I might have a pump problem. I am gonna try to redownload live link 2 again Monday so I can actually data log the iat2. Like was said earlier. Gotta keep chipping away at it.

Islandcat

Established Member
Well changed the o2 sensors. Car runs good. I think it's all fixed. A bad pcv valve and o2 sensor were the culprits. I got to datalog and send it to my tuner, but I am 99.9 % sure it's good to go. It feels and sounds right now if you know what I am saying. I also want to talk to him about that test tune he sent me( based off of the datalogs with the bad sensor and valve). The test tune feels so much stronger than my dynotune. It feels like it is producing so much more torque on the test tune. Now it idled kinda bad and had a slight misfire at partial throttle with that tune( because it's based on a bad datalog)but man the couple time I hit it I had to hold on as it was fighting for traction in second. It don't do that with the dynotune. The dynotune doesnt have the misfire at partial throttle anymore, though so I think it's all good. Like I said I think I will talk to them about the torque issue on the two tunes and Let him check the datalog and that is it.

Users who are viewing this thread