Bad rear axle bearing?

Digthemup

Established Member
OK, than your culprit goes back to bearing and brakes. Double check brakes, specially crap shields, and go from there.;)

Digthemup

Established Member
1ns you definitely eliminate brake, you got no other option, if the noise it that bad. Still hard to believe they are needed with that little play.
My best to you.;)

Digthemup

Established Member
You got everything out of the car b4 making that video right?
Hard to make a decision based on no hands on, specially when you can't hear it when manually spinning wheels.

Mctwist77

Established Member
Yeah, the noise is only there when the car has weight on the wheels. Might call East Coast Gear Supply tomorrow and see what they think.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Based on that I would suspect the wheel bearings rather than carrier bearings. However, depending how bad the axle bearings look, it may be wise to change the carrier bearings if the diff oil has a lot of metal particles in it.

Mctwist77

Established Member
I'm assuming that since the noise is so soft and I didn't have any noticeable play when I tested them, that they are probably in the beginning stages of going bad?

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Have no idea. Is it really soft or is it now loud enough to be heard over tire & exhaust noise?

Digthemup

Established Member
You r probly right being in the beginning of going bad, since i have done 4 wheel bearings in the last couple months, and I had no prob pinning it down.
Regardless, since you r going to be taking the rear apart I do everything. If you do the wheel bearings first, check them well see if they are the issue, that way it would minimize work. However, have everything on hand before you put the car on the lift. if I had to roll the dice, I would say left wheel bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread