Bad Tick/Vibration Noise coming from crank/metco 4lb lower - Suggestions?

peteys101

Established Member
Hey guys,

I need some diagnosing help. The squeak is a bad idler bearing im replacing - but the rhythmic knock is not sounding so good any ideas?

[video=youtube;jwgQe0j7vs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwgQe0j7vs0[/video]

Last edited:

Stage 4.6

Established Member
vid is kind of short, hard to tell what it is? I did here the bad idler squealing, did you just have the 4lb pulley installed?

peteys101

Established Member
no have had the 4lb on for about 4,000 miles - longer video posted - the injectors cant be that loud right? and the noise is pretty clear that is coming from lower in the bay....

Last edited:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Take the blower belt off and start the car. Don't need to run it long though. If the noise goes away it could be the coupler/bearings in the blower snout.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Check your fan. They are known for going bad. Mine did and sounded just like that. Rockauto.com had good deals on them.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Take the blower belt off and start the car. Don't need to run it long though. If the noise goes away it could be the coupler/bearings in the blower snout.
I would definitely try this idea, I had some crazy tapping sound and it was my belt tensioner?

peteys101

Established Member
Blower belt off = no noise ... ordering new tensioner today will update once i get it installed.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
This sounds exactly like what mine sounded like when my metco lower hub had somehow loosened itself and was oscillating slightly. I can't remember if it was the metco hub or the balancer that had become loose / not flush. If you look very closely at the balancer / hub while the car is running you should be able to see the wobble.

I'm not sure how long mine was loose / slightly wobbling before the sound started but 15k miles later (88k total miles) the crankshaft snout sheared off at the timing cover as I shifted 3rd to 4th.

I can only imagine the snout was fatigued by driving who knows how many miles with it wobbling before it made any noise.

Last edited:

Dadarkside

Quicksilver
Established Member
Hey guys,

I need some diagnosing help. The squeak is a bad idler bearing im replacing - but the rhythmic knock is not sounding so good any ideas?

[video=youtube;jwgQe0j7vs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwgQe0j7vs0[/video]

My car is making the exact same noise. Took the belt off and the car ran quiet no noise, replace all pulleys still the same noise i get to the belt tensioner and while the car is running the belt tensioner was moved up and the noise stopped. So i think mine is the belt tensioner haven't changed it yet i bought a belt tensioner from autozone though. Let us know if changing the belt tensioner does the trick. Also let me know where did you buy yours from. Here is a my video drives me crazy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3g0K6slxcI

peteys101

Established Member
Wasn't the belt tensioner :shrug:, Im pretty sure the snout needs a rebuild from bad coupler bearing..... So i bought a whipple 2.9 will update if that doesnt fix it. Interesting about the lower bracket/pulley getting thrown out of alignment will snug all that up as well during my 2.9 install.

I got the thump racing belt tensioner.

Dadarkside

Quicksilver
Established Member
Wasn't the belt tensioner :shrug:, Im pretty sure the snout needs a rebuild from bad coupler bearing..... So i bought a whipple 2.9 will update if that doesnt fix it. Interesting about the lower bracket/pulley getting thrown out of alignment will snug all that up as well during my 2.9 install.

I got the thump racing belt tensioner.

Ok thats good information. Hope it clears out.

Users who are viewing this thread