Bad tune=bad valve, need valve job...

Yellow_rag

Few SVT Poster
Established Member
Got a bad (Bama) tune, ran lean, and now the mechanic tells me an exhaust valve is fried. Did a compression test and leakdown, got blowby. Anyway, looking for input on how many hours or cost estimate for doing a valve job on both heads.

Btw, in case you're wondering why I drove it lean, I had immediate codes with the new tune including banks lean, but the exhaust reaked of fule, so assumed it was something else. thanks!

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
So the leakdown test showed air coming out the throttle body or exhaust? I would also borescope the motor to check the pistons as suggested. That way you don't get any bad news when you pull the heads.

Yellow_rag

Few SVT Poster
Established Member
Mechanic said leakdown showed bad exhaust valve. If there was a hole in piston I'd expect air out PCV too, right? Or you just talking crushed top ring land or something? Anyway, will ask mech if he has a scope.

Anybody got any idea how many hours this job would be without machine work? Just want to make sure I'm getting a decent deal. Or may just try it myself. thanks for input.

03&68cobras

Established Member
That quote was only to pull the valve covers and replace the seals. I just got a quote to R&R the left head for $1300 labor only. I had intended to purchase a FRP head for $1100 and have the shop install it.

Users who are viewing this thread