Bad valve guides?

zacmustang03

Established Member
Hey guys hope this is in the right place . So end of the year my car started to puff smoke under acceleration or upon start up . Was using oil from what I noticed looked to me like it was just blowing it out the exhaust . So I know I should of done a compression test, but I didn't and just took the engine down to the short block this winter . Pistons all look good nothing wrong there . There is a small amount of oil In the lower intake ( my pcv is deleted and the intake hose is plugged off. Looks like it came from one of the cylinders . Here are the pics of the bottom of my heads . What do you guys think? Valve guides? Or something else .
597567ebfad3a7ace2cb405152a04a65.jpg
this is the passenger side . Looks good to me

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
Place the heads valve side down and pour a little oil over the valves. If you have spots on the floor underneath then they were leaking. If not then you might have blow by. My #5 and #3 cylinders have a bad valve guide and blow smoke periodically on start up. Nothing during driving though. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
The amount of oil around the intake valves on the pass side is not Ok. I would guess valve guides as the engine is pulling vacuum while they are moving and the oil is heavy around them.

svtmemo

Established Member
I think I might have the same problem. I just picked up some DB castings as an upgrade and will be rebuilding those heads instead. I still need to take my car apart to see exactly what's causing the oil on start up. Good luck with your build.

MG0h3

Established Member
where do you find the DBs? Junk yard aviators? Ebay? I look every now and then but dont see much.

IllCobra

Established Member
where do you find the DBs? Junk yard aviators? Ebay? I look every now and then but dont see much.

I found a set of DC casting heads on Craigslist for cheap. I would continue to look on ebay and also try CL. It's all about timing and catching a deal before someone else does.

MG0h3

Established Member
cylinder head castings for dohc cars. Google terminator cylinder head castings and you can get some good info on it.

IllCobra

Established Member
cylinder head castings for dohc cars. Google terminator cylinder head castings and you can get some good info on it.

I just remembered that the guy also had a set of DB casting heads; I can post up the CL link and you can contact him and see if you can figure out shipping arrangements?

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/5947922720.html

He's been trying to sell them for a while so offer him $500 for the DB set and see if shipping costs aren't that bad.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya he responded but it was kindof jibberish and then he disappeared.

Thanks for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread