Bad welds on last weeks mustangs?

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
So what grain of truth is there to this? Anyone know?

My 03 was built on post superbowl monday (1/27) and supposedly all the mustang shipments have been diverted as of, you guessed it, 1/27.

So I guess if there is truth to the bad welds theory, I won't be getting the car for awhile. Which brings another question into play, do i even want to risk buying this car which could have issues?

To say I'm scared of Ford quality control is an understatement. Thank god if there is an issue with the welds they caught it, but just makes you wonder what they will do. Surely they are not going to scrap all these cars if the welds are bad.....

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by NeedForSpeed
oh my god...........

ummm....... change your order

2004 10th anaversery svt model

Same as 03 cobra but with different skinned seats I believe.
nicer wheels too....:coolman:

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
I am considering canceling the order.

I'm not buying the cobra to have a fast car. I have a TT 5.0L thats my fast weekend car and the only 03' I have seen with more power is Sneaky Petes. But anyway, I can't even really give a reason why I needed an 03' as it will be my third vehicle. Guess I just liked how they looked. I'm thinking now maybe I should just cancel my order, sell my lightning, and buy a Z06. Course they have their own set of issues, but I don't think its nearly as bad as all the issues I've seen with the 03' I have been hesitant from the beginning because of all the issues that a new car just shouldn't have.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
p.s., I think the regular 03' looks alot better than the 10th aniv edition. Just my opinion.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
I love the look of my car......

But to settle the issues with all these problems.

I have about 4000 miles on my car. I have the mods listed in my signature. Those are pretty hard miles, I push the car hard, do alot of burnouts, wheel spinnin, etc.... do my fair share of racing...... Run it to redline almost everyday.

Everything is perfect. No stalls, no bad idle, no vibrations, no pulling. Car's boost gauge pegs out at 10 since the day I drove it off the lot in november. I used to hear a ticking or tapping sound. I swore I had the famous "tick" ........ well to my surprise I hardly even hear it anymore, I think it's totally gone away.

3 days after my densecharger and still no problems, no engine light, just more giddy up and less gas.... plus that cool air sucking noise and the loud as hell blower whine :)

So far I have zero problems.

Not all of these cars are lemons.

I love this car :)

CaliCobra

Established Member
I doubt they just caught it. They probably found out after the fact, so those of us lucky enough to get them in the 2 weeks prior to that probably have what ever problem they are trying to fix.

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
My car was built 1/28 and I was given a railcar number yesterday. I think that majority of cars that are affected are the ones built the week of 1/20.
I would give VOPC a call and make sure that your car is still in Dearborn. If so, then I guess yours is one of the ones affected.
There should be a full article about the service hold on BON sometime today.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I love the look of my car......

But to settle the issues with all these problems.

I have about 4000 miles on my car. I have the mods listed in my signature. Those are pretty hard miles, I push the car hard, do alot of burnouts, wheel spinnin, etc.... do my fair share of racing...... Run it to redline almost everyday.

Everything is perfect. No stalls, no bad idle, no vibrations, no pulling. Car's boost gauge pegs out at 10 since the day I drove it off the lot in november. I used to hear a ticking or tapping sound. I swore I had the famous "tick" ........ well to my surprise I hardly even hear it anymore, I think it's totally gone away.

3 days after my densecharger and still no problems, no engine light, just more giddy up and less gas.... plus that cool air sucking noise and the loud as hell blower whine :)

So far I have zero problems.

Not all of these cars are lemons.

I love this car :)

Ditto... No problems here...I have a bit of tick, you really have to try and hear it though... My wife and friends cannot hear it and think I'm crazy...maybe I am :uh oh:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I've heard of other SN95 Mustangs where the same thing happened. They must have a slacker welding robot on the job.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Well I definitely want to believe it was a bunch of crap, but you never know. It isn't hard to believe that a robot malfunctioned and screwed up a bunch of welds. Someone here has even posted that the entire rear of their car was not tack welded together causing the car to creak.

I'm not saying every car is a lemon, but it seems enough have issues to make me worry that mine could too.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I persosonally know someone who had a car just like that. It was a 95 GT. There were dozens of spot welds missing in the right rear.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
oh my god...........

ummm....... change your order

2004 10th anaversery svt model

Same as 03 cobra but with different skinned seats I believe.

The Anniversary cars are part of the '03 production run (albeit at the tail end), and considered '03 cars.

01blkcovert

Established Member
Originally posted by Got Incon?
So what grain of truth is there to this? Anyone know?

My 03 was built on post superbowl monday (1/27) and supposedly all the mustang shipments have been diverted as of, you guessed it, 1/27.

So I guess if there is truth to the bad welds theory, I won't be getting the car for awhile. Which brings another question into play, do i even want to risk buying this car which could have issues?

To say I'm scared of Ford quality control is an understatement. Thank god if there is an issue with the welds they caught it, but just makes you wonder what they will do. Surely they are not going to scrap all these cars if the welds are bad.....

This is like a reoccurring bad dream. I had an 01 Cobra vert that Ford had to buy back because of missed welds in the rear. It was a complete rattle trap. I guess they haven't isolated the lazy robot yet. I was told that the cars directly in front of my 01 and directly behind it on the assembly line were being recalled. As I mentioned last year, maybe quality dropped to three or four from the one spot.

julio

Established Member
If there is any truth to this, I am glad Ford caught this before they got out to customers.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Is it just me or is BON one of the most difficult sites to navigate and find stuff on?

It's worthless. I see a blurb about this chassis stuff on the front page, but no story. No link. No idea where to look.

CaliCobra

Established Member
Nah, its just not linked yet. No doubt they are working on filling in the story line and soon as they have the horrifying news available, we'll see it soon enough.

Nice....very very nice.:nonono: :nonono:

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
Okay, to those who have witnessed this problem. How can I tell before I buy the car?

Can I rip up the carpet in the trunk and see, can I crawl underneath, can I just drive it hard and see if it rattles like a tin can?

For those who got a lemon like this, what did the car do?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread