Baer Extreme Front Extreme+ Claw Brake System

United_115

Established Member
the 00R i couldnt find that on there which company is that? I was thinking of the baer brake kit..and not just the tires stop your car the better the brakes the better braking your car will have...

United_115

Established Member
maybe im just blind but I didn't see any 2000 Cobra R brembo brake kits on that page I linked at the top, can someone direct me?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
its the 332mm kit with a one-piece rotor, but its more expensive as a 'brembo grand touring' kit than it is to scare up the actual ford racing kit m-2300-x. if you really scrounge, you can probably find the calipers by themselves. the rotors are the same as what you have.

a v6 brake caliper and rotor will provide enough brake torque to lock up the fronts, fwiw. if the brakes are locked up that means the tires lost traction and the brakes are not doing anything. this is why we say that tires stop the car.

the four pot brembo caliper will provide a MUCH more solid feel than the flexy pbr floating two pot caliper the car shipped with. braided stainless brake hoses on all four corners along with the four pot front calipers will give you a rock solid brake pedal. tons better feel. add some brake cooling ducts and the appropriate track pad, and you gain repeatability.

youlose

Established Member
So by that logic, if I could theoretically bolt up my friends Z06 wheels and tires to my wifes WRX (assume the same weight...), then it should stop just as hard from 120?

I understand your logic as the tires do make a huge difference--and they are the very last link in the chain of stopping power, however brakes can and do make a huge difference, as I'm quite sure you know very well.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Actually, the contact patch of the tire is the first link in the chain, not the final. Once the wheel has locked up, the brakes are doing nothing.

As far as calipers and rotor discs go, the farther out from the hub you have the caliper, the more torque it can exert on the rotor disc. A 14" brake kit will have substantially better braking power than a 13" kit.

The next thing in line to affect braking performance is the width of the brake pad. A wide [long?] pad has more contact with the rotor disc surface so it can both apply pressure over a greater area, and also absorb more heat than a narrower pad. Brakes are all about converting friction into heat and then dissipating that.

Ideally you want the thickest pad you can run not just because it will last the longest, but your braking performance decreases exponentially once the pad has worn beyond 50% of its useful life. The pad itself is what transfers the heat away from the rotor disc.

6 piston calipers, while being fully buzzword-compliant, don't really gain you anything other than a reduction in pad taper. The pad will wear on an angle normally, and more, differently-sized pistons even out the pressure applied by the caliper. The 00R calipers are only 4 piston, but they don't taper the pad, even if you go through an entire set of pads in an afternoon.

Bottom line, a 13" kit with the stock rotors and the 00R Brembo calipers will get you more brakes than you'll be able to ever use on the street.

What matters more on a street car is pad selection. Street cars don't get into the operating range of racing brake parts. Street cars need a buttery-soft pad that doesn't need any heat built into it in order to work. Most people think high performance brakes will make the passenger kiss the windshield when the driver barely touches the pedal. That's simply not the case, and that behavior can be achieved by choosing the appropriate brake pad.

:pepper:

Last edited:

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
when i ran stock cobra brakes with hp plus cars the car worked amazing on the street and at an autox. They were a little dusty(I didn't care), but they were REALLY REALLY loud. My dad used to say my car sounded like an old pace bus when I hit the brakes!

vipergts281

Established Member
when i ran stock cobra brakes with hp plus cars the car worked amazing on the street and at an autox. They were a little dusty(I didn't care), but they were REALLY REALLY loud. My dad used to say my car sounded like an old pace bus when I hit the brakes!
That's because the Hawk + pads are not really for street. They are more of a racing pad.

I have run Hawk ceramic pads and stock rotors for awhile now. Also had slotted rotors on there at one point. No complaints.

Best bang for the buck, grab a set of Hawk ceramics and stock rotors. Or, upgrade to the 00R kit as mentioned. Runs about $1,000.

Users who are viewing this thread