Bag melted to exhaust - now what?

SSSNAKE03

WhippleCharged
Established Member
As the title states, I had a plastic bag under my car while driving and it melted to my exhaust pipes. What should I use to get it off? It is caked on there pretty good. I have already tried a very diluted mixture of water and simple green...any other thoughts?

20u1xy1.jpg

jl6zbp.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Tispho

Established Member
go to home depot, buy some lacquer thinner, soak the exhaust in a rag, and scrap it off with a plastic scraper.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
similar thing has happened on my motorcycle, chrome pipes with my rain suit melted on it!!!! I used easy off oven cleaner on it... it worked..

that was when they had 2 kinds, one that needed heat and one that didn't, I used the no heat one, but you have to watch out for Sodium hydroxide, (ie lye) toluene might also be a better choice on chrome.

I don't know if you still can get the non heat one (I did this 5 years ago) but it worked:beer:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
What a crapy place to have the bag melt. I have had 2 bags and a plastic cup melt onto my x pipe. The first time I used a wire brush to clean it off. After it happened again I just let it burn off. It smelled like ass but I figured that nobody would see it on the x pipe. Since yours is on your polished exhaust, you will probably have to repolish that section.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
propane torch and heat the ****er off till it melts and drips off.

itll smell, but almost require 0 effort and you wont have to refinish the pipes.

DSGCOBRA03

Established Member
I hit a freshly dead raccoon one night and it scattered under my whole car. I had meat, guts, and fur hanging all over. It reeked for weeks. Then I started smelling a complete different smell. So I looked under my car and there was a plastic bag hanging from my muffler. So now my whole exhaust has either blood or plastic caked on it.

a10secstreetcar

Established Member
sand and polish I'm thinking that his your only option..

^ That, or you could try full stretch simple green and #000(0) steel wool.

Wire brush on a drill and polish it back up.

go to home depot, buy some lacquer thinner, soak the exhaust in a rag, and scrap it off with a plastic scraper.

And if that doesn't work, same thing with paint stripper. Better yet, first try a razor blade.

All of these should work just fine...

sikryd

Established Member
I hit a freshly dead raccoon one night and it scattered under my whole car. I had meat, guts, and fur hanging all over. It reeked for weeks. Then I started smelling a complete different smell. So I looked under my car and there was a plastic bag hanging from my muffler. So now my whole exhaust has either blood or plastic caked on it.

Hahaha... I needed a good laugh, my work day is sucking major horse ***k.

Jefe

Established Member
I had a plastic bad melt to one of my cats. Gonna try some of the things posted in here. Its hard as a rock now...

GTIZZL

Established Member
This just happened to my x-pipe a couple weeks ago.. If it happened to my cat back I would have been even more pissed.

Users who are viewing this thread