balancing weights on outside of rim...

Grimlock

Established Member
Why does SVT put the little weights on the outside of my chrome wheel instead of on the inside where they will not be seen? I was wondering if anyone else noticed this and if it could be taken care of w/o any ill effects. Thanks.

Pete

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
Just take it to a local tire retailer that balances them and they can put the weights on the inside. It is probaly cheaper to put them on the outside ford will save every cent they can.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
That was the stupidest thing Ford could have done. I cant wait til I have them rebalanced and put on the inside, but then again I cringe thinking about pulling that weight out and scratching the rim.

Juiced-03

Established Member
When I got my 18's put on the tire busters used sticky weights. I was so mad when I saw that!!! They always fall off on the freeway and they never seem to be balanced perfectly. I had always felt a vibration so I had them rebalanced and they put the weights on the inside edge of the rim and now it feels great!

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
When I had my SVT chrome wheels changed over, my SVT dealer has a Hunter Road Force balance machine and it would ask where on the wheel would you like the balance weights to go. It then compensates the needed difference to have a good balance. This was done last April and so far I've only had the car up to about 120 mph, but it sails nice and smooth with no vibes at that speed.
I'm happy. Ford mounts the weights on both sides because they don't have the equipment to do it properly. That's why even the standard aluminum wheels have the weights on both sides. Convenience and cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
For those that wish to remove their outside weights
without scratching the rim try dental flous pulling it
thru the stick on. Wear gloves!

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Grimlock,

You can still have a well balanced wheel without the outside weights. I used to be a Ford service technician and did this ALL the time on quality wheels. You need to find a shop (your Ford dealership probably has one) with a balancer that has a setting for use with BOTH stick-on and inside weights. The stick-on weights work very well and rarely, if ever come off. The key to the stick-on weights is to THOUROUGHLY clean the surface of the wheel before applying the weights. You can perfectly balance a wheel in this manner, but it must be done properly.

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by Badgts
Grimlock,

The stick-on weights work very well and rarely, if ever come off. The key to the stick-on weights is to THOUROUGHLY clean the surface of the wheel before applying the weights. You can perfectly balance a wheel in this manner, but it must be done properly.
What he said! You can also put a small bead of clear silicon around the sticky weights to keep them from falling off from enviromental deterioration. I did this on my forged chromies on my Harley and they stayed there till I replaced the tires at 15k.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
and you never noticed that the balancer required 10x the weight when not putting any on the outside lip?

edit: "real" racing wheels dont have a lip for a hammer-on weight, and most racing classes require duct tape over the adhesive weights.

Grimlock,

You can still have a well balanced wheel without the outside weights. I used to be a Ford service technician and did this ALL the time on quality wheels. You need to find a shop (your Ford dealership probably has one) with a balancer that has a setting for use with BOTH stick-on and inside weights. The stick-on weights work very well and rarely, if ever come off. The key to the stick-on weights is to THOUROUGHLY clean the surface of the wheel before applying the weights. You can perfectly balance a wheel in this manner, but it must be done properly.

Last edited:

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
LOL...no you won't need 10x the weights!!! You do, however, need to place the weights as far to the outside of the wheel as possible. I have done hundreds, if not thousands of wheels this way and it does not require any extra weight. During the tire recall a few years back I got a LOT of practice. Like I said before, you can balance a wheel perfectly in this manner, BUT IT MUST BE DONE PROPERLY.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
this shows a fundamental misunderstanding of not just static but dynamic balancing. to say that it doesnt take more weight to achieve the same balance when the weight is moved from the outside edge, inward, of the spinning device in question [in this case a wheel] is preposterous. see how much weight the machine asks for in the weight-on-the-edges mode and how much weight it asks for on the weights-inside mode. to say that it would be identical means you havent tried it.

LOL...no you won't need 10x the weights!!! You do, however, need to place the weights as far to the outside of the wheel as possible. I have done hundreds, if not thousands of wheels this way and it does not require any extra weight. During the tire recall a few years back I got a LOT of practice. Like I said before, you can balance a wheel perfectly in this manner, BUT IT MUST BE DONE PROPERLY.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I didn't say it would be identical and its not that I have a misunderstanding. I understand what you are saying about the overall mass and position of its offset to the center of rotation (I am an engineer by the way). I HAVE tried it!! I also have a lot of expererience with the latest balancing machines available. There is more than one way to balance a wheel, statically or dynamically. And more than one procedure to perform the same type of balance. YOU try it, honestly. I think you will be surprised!

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Im with Badgts on this one.

Stick on weights are all I've used, and as long as you clean the surface PROPERLY before sticking them on, I've had no problems with the weights staying on. And they do balance out perfectly.

NC Cobra

Established Member
I am also with Badgts. I recently purchased 18" chromes and new Bridgestones. The shop I use just got one of the new Hunter Dynamic balancers and this thing is just way too cool. Used sticky weights inside the rims. Three of the wheels used only 1/2 oz. of weight, the forth wheel 1 1/2 oz. Balance is dead on at all speeds.

I stopped by the local BMW shop to show off the new chromes to a good friend that works in the shop. He takes me back in the shop to show me the new Hunter Dynamic Alignment machine they just installed. This computer controlled machine simulates everything under the sun based on each individual model, which is preloaded in the computer database. It tells the tech exactly how much weight to place in the car to simulate actual load conditions and where to place it. The machine then simulates the speed at 60mph. We looked and the 03 Cobra data was in the database from Hunter. The price for this is $90 compared to $40 to $50 for a standard alignment. I will be taking my car in next week as the factory alignment sucks. Like others on the forum, the inside edges of my tires wore much faster that the outside.

Didn't mean to go off subject but I have become a huge fan of this new Hunter equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread