BAMA X4 Tuner Problems

Oacevez

Established Member
Has any one had issues with the BAMA or SCT Tuners or their customer service?
I'm having some issues with my "Custom Tune" and essentially what I am doing is paying for dyno runs to get them data they need (Sounds a lot like a Dyno Tune don it?) because I don't have an A/F meter and had I known that I would need to purchase one to get adjustments made on my "Custom Tunes" I would of just paid for Dyno Tuning.

03 Cobra
2.70 Blower Pulley
JLT CAI
SLP Loudmouth 1 Cat back
BAMA X4 "Custom Tune" :bash:

UPDATE:
So I took the car to the guys @ GTR Performance in Ontario, CA. Had some pulls, and found that with the BAMA tune, engine cuts off @ 5400RPM and FPDC pegged @ 4000RPM. Power is still being made but cuts out at 381RWHP :shrug:, they took BAMA tune out and installed an Old Diablo Sport Generic Tune, did another pull, 431RWHP 449TQ no issues. Problem is the tune. Contacted the guys @ BAMA, then sent me another tune file. Loaded onto the car and took it out on a road test, still cuts out. Long story short, they were nice enough to refund my money back 100% and I sent the tuner back to them. I aint knocking the product, just didn't work for me and going the Dyno Tune route instead. Guys at BAMA were nice and friendly.

Last edited:

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I would do 1 of these 2 options:
A) Get a dyno tune, using the X4 you have now.
B) Buy a wide band A/F meter, under $200, and email datalogs back and forth and back and forth....

Oacevez

Established Member
UPDATE: Bama Tuner Problems.

So I received another tune from the guys at BAMA. Went out and gave it a shot on the freeway and still doing the same thing. Engine cuts out completely around 5400 RPM. I checked Data Log (No A/F data log) and see that the fuel pumps (FPDC) are pegged at around 4000 RPM.
Took it over to the guys at GTR in Ontario, we put it on the Dyno, way too much fuel at the top end. He put a generic tune from an old Diablo Sport tuner, no issues, putting down 431RWHP & 449TQ.
Told the guys at BAMA, they don't believe it was the tune, but proof was in the pudding when we used another tuner and had no issues. They refunded my money and I sent the tuner back to them.
I am considering a KB BAP, maybe after the holidays.

Ain't going to knock down on the product, it just didn't work for me and I did not want to drop more money on dyno runs or an A/F gauge at this time. Customer service was really good. Guys are very helpful and nice. Maybe down the line if I decide to get crazy on the mods, I will give them another try.

TRBO VNM

I would do 1 of these 2 options:
A) Get a dyno tune, using the X4 you have now.
B) Buy a wide band A/F meter, under $200, and email datalogs back and forth and back and forth....

Buy a wideband with a quality sensor. The sensor in that $200 kit probably isn't that high of quality. A tune is only as good as the data you provide your tuner. I just dealt with this with a cheaper wideband setup. Guy made back to back street pulls and the data was different. You need to still get it on a dyno and compare the readings with a quality sensor.

OP, I have seen that with a handful of cars over the last few months.

Oacevez

Established Member
Is this an issue with the BAMA tunes they are sending out? I agree with you 100% about getting as much datalog info to the tuner HOWEVER it is advertised that this is a customed tune in the box done through extensive testing. They don't say that you may have to purchase an A/F gauge if you experience issues or better yet, they should have their engineers program that value into the tuners or sell it as a package.

Oacevez

Established Member
I think I may have found the problem. Driving the car with BAMA software I would see boost jump to 10psi but not further on the gauge, I thought because the needle has a stop from going pass that and don't rely on that. Now that it has the Diablo tune on it, needle goes way pass. I'm going to get dyno data to compare boost from both tunes. I'm thinking it wasn't a fuel delivery/fpdc, but more a boost issue. I know that with the Diablo tune, boost was 15.3psi. I can't remember on the BAMA tune and I have already returned it. Anyways thought it might help someone who may run to similar issue in the future.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Did you change anything mechanically? Maybe I am just not aware, but I don't know of any way to command boost in the tune for these cars.

Users who are viewing this thread