BANG and flashing CEL

cohhbra

Established Member
Well I was driving normally today and in first at 3000rpm and I hear a bang, the car looses power, and the CEL starts flashing at me. I promptly kill the ignition and drift into a parking lot(why can't prius owners learn this). I check the codes and nothing new that I don't know I have(no cats). I pop the hood and everything seems fine, no funny smells. I turn the car back on and it's fine and not burning oil and I drive it for thirty minutes back home no problems. Any idea what happened or if I should have this checked out?

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
Scary stuff, sorry no real help here other than you'll need a ford scanner to help you out. Keep us posted and good luck!

cohhbra

Established Member
So can I go down and get them to read it at an Autozone or do I really need to go to Ford?

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
I dont know if I can be much help but I have never herd of the CEL light flashing before? Usually it just comes on and stays on.... What is the rate the light flashes? Fast or slow? When you turn the ignition on (without starting the car) what does the light do?

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
i personally would not ignore this. i would either take it to a dealer or a reputable shop that has knowledge on these cars and get it checked out. a big bang and a flashing cel doesnt just happen. good luck and keep us posted

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Almost sounds like you blew a plug, but you said the car is running fine. Hmmmm, keep us posted.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
You need to have someone with a ford scanner pull codes because it probably has a manufaturer code logged. there are OBD codes that most hand held scanners read but then there are the more detailed codes that require a NGS or IDS to read the codes. i think OBD codes are the generic P0XXX codes while the manufacturer specific codes are the P1XXX P2XXX etc, and like karlhungus said a flashing CEL means a engine missfire bad enough to damage emission equipment

divided

Established Member
Almost sounds like you blew a plug, but you said the car is running fine. Hmmmm, keep us posted.

Thats what I was thinking too. But it doesnt make sense if it drives fine now.

FYI when mine blew the CEL flashed as well. Thought I blew the motor, but luckily it was just a plug.

92stanglx

Established Member
Thats what I was thinking too. But it doesnt make sense if it drives fine now.

FYI when mine blew the CEL flashed as well. Thought I blew the motor, but luckily it was just a plug.

I would dump codes and find out what it is before driving the car again. It would not hurt to have a compression/leakdown test done on the motor as well.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread