Barton Shifter Bracket?

cmycobrafly

Established Member
Ok I just want to say this is the best shifting mustang I have owned. I have owned 1987 Mustang gt, 1993 mustang lx, 1994 mustang gt, 2004 cobra, and now a 2012 mustang gt with brembo brake package and 3.73 gears. I have missed 3rd gear a handful of times I know the problem is from the whole shifter moving around from torque. Is the barton bracket that good at keeping the shifter center in the tranny tunnel? I like the stock throw and don't want to shorten it up because I was already having problem with timing vs foot when speed shifting beings this is the shortest throw stock shifter I have laid my hands on. I don't want to shorten it up more. I am on the waiting list for the mgw shifter I am sure it is going to be awsome but I feel that it is just she shifter moving in tunnel beings 2 gear is so short and the massive amount of wheel hope on the 1-2 shift being in this cold weather. Any thoughts

cmycobrafly

Established Member
also I like the way that on the 2-3 shift you only have to slam forward on the shifter to get 3rd. Does the centering spring wear from ford after some miles I only have 600 miles on car. I have beat this piss out of it from day 1 trying to get the engine loosened up and man no issues here lol. I just have a confindence problem because I know in my 2004 cobra I have hit 1st before going for 3rd and it rapped engne to over 8000 rpms before I got clutch in. Don't ever want that again!

scott_0

Established Member
the Barton bracket is pretty nice, if not a bit overbuilt. the three separate pieces plus 4 little bolts make it a more difficult install imo, Id look into a Steeda or JHR if I were you.

cmycobrafly

Established Member
anybody else i am more interested on the shifter spring getting wore over time and not being like it is now. Anybody know anything about that with some miles on there car.

Teej281

Established Member
I'll say the springs in my 98 GT sucked at 90k, but when I got my 02 GT with 90k on it, the springs were tight enough for me to powershift the hell out of it. I can only imagine that they have made their shifters better than stock since then.

jason004

Established Member
I had the exact same issue on mine getting into 3rd. I put on the Barton Bracket and it helped alot but will have an issue while spraying it on the track. I got an MGW from George and drove it straight to the track to test it out. Never had an issue since I went to MGW. Both products are good but for me the MGW was the way to go.

Benchracer

Established Member
I had the exact same issue on mine getting into 3rd. I put on the Barton Bracket and it helped alot but will have an issue while spraying it on the track. I got an MGW from George and drove it straight to the track to test it out. Never had an issue since I went to MGW. Both products are good but for me the MGW was the way to go.

Exactly the problem I am having. Only misses when I am spraying nitrous at the track. I plan on getting the mgw soon.

Reno Five-O

Established Member
If you buy the Barton shifter you should buy the bracket too.

^ I've had both since approx. 3k miles. I just hit 19,500 on the odometer and I've never had any issues with shifting/missing gears since. Probably one of the best upgrades you can do if you like to rip through gears like I do.

cmycobrafly

Established Member
well iam on the waiting list for mgw but i ordered a steeda bracket for now until they call from mgw and get me one on the way!

09gtt

Established Member
Does anybody ever have a problem shifting to 4th? For some reason I have no problem hitting any gear but 4th gives me fits. The car wants to shift to 2nd.

Users who are viewing this thread