Barton Shifter Question

Honest Mike

Established Member
I'm not getting any replies in my other topic so I'm just going to start a new one with just one simple question. :D I installed the Barton shifter and 2 post bracket. The only problem I'm having is going into 1st or 2nd if I push too hard to the left. Is this normal? If I push left LIGHTLY and up for 1st or down for 2nd, it goes into either gear fine. If I push left kinda hard, it won't go up into 1st OR down into 2nd. Is something out of adjustment, or is this normal being that reverse is over in that area? Reverse is down and left tho, that's why I was ruling that out, but it is still another gate right?

I'd like for someone with a Barton shifter and 2 post bracket to try it in their car. Push left with some force, not all your force, but say you were man handling it a bit to the left, then try to go up into 1st or down into 2nd and see if it lets you, or it gets hung up? I don't want to take it all apart again looking for something wrong if nothing is wrong. With the stock shifter and bracket there was a lot of slop, so it just went in gear. I'm thinking now there is no wiggle room cause everything is nice and tight now..

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
I have that problem sometimes. Once it's warmed up then it doesn't do it. I am also getting some grinding when going into 5th if I push too hard to the right.

Honest Mike

Established Member
Mine does it car on or car off. Car warmed up or car cold. I'm just wondering if it's something a touch out of line, like when I tightened the bracket up or that's just the way this transmission is, and the new tight short shifter is multiplying the "problem".

alcarames

Established Member
Recheck all your bolts, especially the ones from the top and make sure they are tight.

IGO 202

Established Member
I have to concentrate to pull straight back when WOT shifting from 1st to 2nd. If I pull the shifter the least little bit toward me it will not go into second.

Dan

Honest Mike

Established Member
Thanks for the replies!! Dan, or anyone reading this, try this if you would.. With the car off and in neutral, try pushing left decently hard, and up to first or down to second, and see if it lets you or does it get hung up?

AKDMB

Established Member
I gotta pull back and to the left slightly to hit 2nd with my 2 post and Shifter. I will definitely be looking at the Gen 3 MGW when it comes out.

Torchy

Established Member
OP sounds like you had the 11-12 Barton on your car and you need the 13-14 one. Ford changed the shifter base (what the Barton bolts to) between 12 and 13.

Last edited:

Honest Mike

Established Member
I have the one with the reversible handle. It says 2011 on one side, 2013 on the other. REV 2 it says on top of the Barton shifter base.

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
OP...how did you fix the problem. Mine is notchy and gets worse the hotter the trans gets. Other than that its all good. Waiting to try out the new MGW when it comes out.

Honest Mike

Established Member
I flipped the handle over to the 2013 and it fixed the problem I was having! Yes I measured the box, 15 times! It came up around the 1.75" or so mark. Definitely positively wasn't 2", that's why I put the shifter in with the 2011 side towards the reverse lockout. I did everything 100% by the instructions. But to be honest I kept saying to myself during the install this doesnt seem right installing the shifter in the 2011 configuration and the car is a 2014. I kept reading the instructions and kept measuring lol cause I didn't want to have to take anything apart again. But guess what, the second time goes easier lol. I had the knob, console, sound deadening material and rubber boot off in minutes. The handle can be flipped around without having to take the shifter back out of the car, thank god. 1 Allen screw. I said to myself I'm gonna give it a shot. If it doesn't fix it then oh well. I flipped the handle, screwed the knob on and took it for a quick beat lol and it was now perfect!! No more getting hung up between first and second whatsoever, no matter how hard I pushed left and up,or left and down. And no, reverse is no harder to get into regardless of which way the handle is on.

For anyone having a problem that resembles my problem, take the 5 minutes and flip your handle over.

Like I said above, I had no grinding or anything else going on, just didn't seem normal that I was getting hung up between first and second. Flipping the handle over fixed my problem!! Now I can drive that bitch with confidence up shifting or downshifting. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Honest Mike

Established Member
Love love love this shifter and bracket now! Amazing feel clicking into the next gear! No slop and no rubbery feel! Couldn't be happier with this upgrade!!

Next on my list, sound tube delete kit. Or I may just buy the Airaid modular intake tube and keep my stock airbox in place. It comes with the 2 plugs you need to delete the sound tube I believe. And it will look a little nicer and I assume flow slightly better than the factory accordion type tube..

Users who are viewing this thread