Base brake upgrade.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Iv noticed brake fade with my base GT. I don't autocross or anything it's just heavy brake use after a WOT run. I'd like to get new rotors and pads all the way around. Already swapped to AMSoil brake fluid too btw. I was watching a car show that used EBC Brakes so I was leaning that way. Any suggestions? And no I don't want bigger brakes at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I know you said you don't want bigger but if you do remember you won't be able to run a 15" rear wheel for the drag strip if you are into that. Just throwing that out there.

nate714

Established Member
Iv noticed brake fade with my base GT. I don't autocross or anything it's just heavy brake use after a WOT run. I'd like to get new rotors and pads all the way around. Already swapped to AMSoil brake fluid too btw. I was watching a car show that used EBC Brakes so I was leaning that way. Any suggestions? And no I don't want bigger brakes at this time.

you were watching Hotrod Garage on motortrend huh?

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I know you said you don't want bigger but if you do remember you won't be able to run a 15" rear wheel for the drag strip if you are into that. Just throwing that out there.

Huh? Yea stock sized rear brakes and 15" drag wheels are ok.... The rears will remain stock sized forever

JDos1

Established Member
You realize you can just paint your rotor hats and outer edge where the pad doesn't make contact to keep from getting the rust.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Yea I can paint them but why do that if I'm buying new shit anyways and I have the option to get something that's coated?

vortecd

Established Member
I went with stop tech/power slot rotors with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. Cars stops much better at the track at over 130

rotarymagic

Established Member
I got the centric oem blank rotors (Same company as stop tech) and stop tech pads. They stop very hard compared to stock, but the pads are pretty dusty if you hit them hard a bunch from speed. I also run the AMSoil Dot 3 fluid. I don't turn with my car, but even without bedding these brakes... they can easily skid the tires if you hit the brakes hard.

BTW if that Pro Street brake kit was out for our cars back when I bought brakes, I'd have bought that since they're very light, streetable, and stop very well.

Last edited:

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
last two posts. Stoptech sloted, or the centric blanks. All coated/painted hats and vents, I am 2 years on them with no rust in the north.

I run hp 5.0 pads for street, and they are acceptable. They will handle some spirited driving and hold up for a while for sure.

noldevin

Established Member
Another vote for the centric blanks. You can get the painted ones for a few bucks more if you want to avoid rust.
Hawk 5.0 pads should be plenty for street runs unless you're doing repeat pulls with no time to let them cool.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Thanks guys. I'd prefer the slotted and dimpled look. Not planning on any extreme driving where I need crazy brakes so il go with the hp pads I guess. Probably wait around for a sale if there ever is one. Car only gets like 2k miles a year up here.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'd prefer the slotted and dimpled look. Not planning on any extreme driving where I need crazy brakes so il go with the hp pads I guess. Probably wait around for a sale if there ever is one. Car only gets like 2k miles a year up here.

OP I just bought a 5.0 Coyote and I'm gonna do new rotors and pads, I've done a good bit of price searching and Amazon is very reasonable with the Centric coated rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Here's the part #'s I found for the 2011-14 GT base (non-brembo), are these correct?
Centric e-coated front rotors: 120.61086
Centric e-coated rear rotors: 120.61087

Hawk HPS front pads: HB484F.670
Hawk HPS rear pads: HB485F.656

About $215 for this free shipping at Amazon.

rayh91

Established Member
If OEM isn't an option. The first thing I do is recommend Centric/Stop-Tech. Amazon and Tirerack have decent prices. I get mine from their warehouse down the street.

I run S-T Slotted and S-T Sport Pads. They work really well.

Users who are viewing this thread