Base vs SVTPP brakes for road course?

svt1111

Established Member
Can someone please explain the differences between the base brake package and that of the SVTPP package?

I'm looking at a 2013 GT500, it has the base wheels but the Recaro's, and I plan on road coursing the car so I was curious if the Recaro's required the upgraded brakes as part of the SVTPP package, or if the seats were a stand alone option?

I'm not very familiar with how Ford packaged the options on this model, and I'm very curious to hear the details on the brakes and any real world road course experience with the braking systems on the base and SVTPP cars....

I'd be coming from a Carrera S so braking performance is important to me. I miss the high HP pull of these cars though, and can't seem to get that monkey off my back! Lol

Sdsaathoff

Established Member
Recaros are the seat option only. Do you mean brembos?

I understand that most people that want serious braking go aftermarket. Shelby had a nice kit that they use on the super snakes for sale on their website a little while back.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Use the second thread down for FAQ but the PP has significant benefits for track use mainly the Torsen rear diff and adj Bilsteins, also slightly different spring and sway bar rates, the TP really is just 3 coolers (oil trans diff) which also benefits road course use.
All these can be added to the base now with factory parts but if tracking is your plan
I'd just find a car with both. TP and PP. what's weird is the TP and PP cars that didn't get recaros?
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Recaros are the seat option only. Do you mean brembos?

I understand that most people that want serious braking go aftermarket. Shelby had a nice kit that they use on the super snakes for sale on their website a little while back.

Most just upgrade the brake fluid pads and lines for track use, 6 piston Brembos pretty stout up front.
-J
:beer:

Sdsaathoff

Established Member
Most just upgrade the brake fluid pads and lines for track use, 6 piston Brembos pretty stout up front.
-J
:beer:

I was talking more about the rears, but some people like to keep the sets matching. Do you know anything about their extreme brake package? The website states that they won't fit 10-12 GT500 wheels and recommend the alcoas, by they don't sell those anymore. I wish I could get a set of black alcoas at a reasonable price... The only alcoas that I see for sale are on eBay and the same ones stay while people are asking crazy money for them. Does anyone know what they cost from Shelby originally?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Their Extreme brake kit used to be made by Baer (awesome quality I've had 2 Baer sets on my LX) but was limited to 14" front rear.
I totally agree with you on matching rears, it is something I will do eventually but for road course work, the stock system actually will work well with the upgrades I mentioned, ask guys like Van, I'm just a street and drag guy :)
The Alcoas went for about $600 each plus caps, you can find sets for fair prices from time to time, I will likely be selling my widened 50th Alcoas if a project with True Forged pans out.
Member 'devious snake' had a black powder coated Alcoa set he may still have if you want to PM him.
-J

svt1111

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. So same brake package as Track Pack? Great to know. Will the stock rotors withstand aggressive pad use for very long?

Also, is it possible to track (without overheating and cooking the motor)) a car with a 10% lower, headers, CAI and tune? I want a dual purpose car. Probably do some light suspension and spring mods (hence why the track pack isn't a priority although I do like the Torsen). I'm think that a GT500 making 17 psi for 20 minutes, 4 times in a row might be hard on the motor! Anyone do this yet and what can they report??

I'd like to hear Van's input on this subject, as he seems like an authority on this topic as well!

I do about 5 track days a year...

jg61354

Established Member
I have done 8 tracks days in the past 8 months - Sebring & Road Atlanta. Base motor w/ just an Araid filter -suspenion mods in sig. Zero motor issues, no over heating but plenty of fun.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Like what most said, change brake fluid to something better, track pads and you're golden.

You can go a step further by buying an extra set of frt. rotors and use them only with your track pads (that's what I do). Rears I am still using the OE rotor with track and factory pads but eventually I will get a set of rears to be used only with either pad set.

SS brake lines is a good idea but not needed right now unless you are heavily into tracking. I have a set waiting to go on in the spring but ran my car last year with stock brake lines no issues.

Search my username there's a few posts about my RC setup on my Shelby.

Tony

svt1111

Established Member
I have done 8 tracks days in the past 8 months - Sebring & Road Atlanta. Base motor w/ just an Araid filter -suspenion mods in sig. Zero motor issues, no over heating but plenty of fun.

That's awesome.

What lowering kit are you running? How is body roll and especially brake dive with your setup? Brake dive and weight transfer are too big concerns I have for this platform. My Boss was pretty bad in that regard.
You running the stock tune?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
That's awesome.

What lowering kit are you running? How is body roll and especially brake dive with your setup? Brake dive and weight transfer are too big concerns I have for this platform. My Boss was pretty bad in that regard.
You running the stock tune?

Here's a couple of laps with my car. I thought the car was nice and flat, not a bunch of rolling around like every other Mustang I've owned.

Hallett 11-7-13 - Afternoon session on Vimeo

Users who are viewing this thread