Baseline Dyno Run (Dyno Newbe)

DocSVT

Established Member
First time at the Dyno. Wanted to get a Baseline prior to pulleys. Pulled 391.1 / 359.9 (Stock other than Stingers & FIPK) went way rich after about 4900 RPM. Just for grins, put in Predator "box" Performance Tune (garbage from what I understand). Pulled 409.2 / 379.7. A 18 HP gain, but looks a little lean to me, so I pulled the tune and returned it to stock. I was tempted to run the Predator tune but add a little fuel across the board, Is this stupid, should I just keep the stock tune until get I the pulleys on and get a real tune. AFR was done with a tail pipe sniffer. Is this way too lean?

IMG_1022.JPG

Last edited:

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
DocSVT said:
First time at the Dyno. Wanted to get a Baseline prior to pulleys. Pulled 391.1 / 359.9 (Stock other than Stingers & FIPK) went way rich after about 4900 RPM. Just for grins, put in Predator "box" Performance Tune (garbage from what I understand). Pulled 409.2 / 379.7. A 18 HP gain, but looks a little lean to me, so I pulled the tune and returned it to stock. I was temped to run the Predator tune but add a little fuel across the board, Is this stupid, should I just keep the stock tune until get I the pulleys on and get a real tune. AFR was done with a tail pipe sniffer. Is this way too lean?

IMG_1022.JPG

If you have cats, this A/F ratio means absolutely nothing...only true way is to measure it before the cats...

If you don't have cats, then a tailpipe sniffer is just fine

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Tail pipe sniffers are notriously lean. I have a wideband LC-1 in mine, showed 11.8 for a pull while a sniffer read out 13.1. Leave the stock tune in it till you get you Full Billetflow setup on the car and get it to a dyno for a proper tune.

DocSVT

Established Member
Weld in a bung now?

So I assume this means that I will need a sensor in front of the cats to get a proper tune. I was planning to take it back to HPP for a tune after I installed the Pulleys and Heat Exchanger. I assume the 'Predator Pulley Tune' would be safe enough to drive 15 miles if I stayed out of the boost.

So should I just go ahead and install a bung (in front of the cats) prior to getting the tune (for the tuner to use). I plan on purchasing a wideband later but not real soon. I have a TIG and I believe I am capable of welding a bung in.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
adamb258 said:
yeah plus hpp dyno tends to read a little lower than other places
I didn't know HPP's dyno reads alittle lower than others. Makes me feel even better, lol.

adamb258

Established Member
Well when it was speedworks i went thre to check teh a/f on my mach 1 and it dynoed about 7-8 hp lower than my car did on 2 other dynos(same temps and mods). PLus other people have told me that as well

Users who are viewing this thread