Basic bolt on mods for 96-98?

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
I have a 03, and my father likes mine so much, he bought a 97 ragtop.
Anyways, I figure basic bolt ons would be, CAI, catback and shifter.
Of these 3, which are the best (for your $$ and quality)?
He just wants it to sound a little better, and have a few more HP.

mystic1219

Established Member
Definatly go with the MGW shifter. JLT intake would show a nice gain. I have had BBK and MAC off road H pipes and both are great mid-pipes. A cat back is always a good mod. Flowmasters can be found on Ebay for around $250, or you can go with something with a little more modern sound such as bassani, borla or numerous other companies. Me personally I like the classic muscle car sound of my O/R H pipe and flowmasters. Its real deep and rumbles. Also turns alot of heads, sounds like I have 500hp though I only have 300.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
4.30 gears, then subframe connectors. after that, do an o/r h/x pipe and a nice catback. a JLT intake wouldnt hurt either. Hell be sitting at around 275rwhp which is plenty w/ 4.30's outback.

Grant

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
CAI is the cheapest and quickest way to free up 5-12 extra horses. JLT from what I hear is the best unless you want to use a STB. Densecharger is what I have and it works well. Make sure he gets one with a fender mount and not under the hood sucking in hot air from the engine. The catback will only be good for another 3-5 horses unless combined with a good X-Pipe.

white98snake

Established Member
98_cobra said:
im suprised no one metioned headers for a nice gain in hp.

he said nice easy bolt on's

headers will cost 500+ then u gotta install them which is a PITA,

BBK o/r H
Mac catback
Tri-ax shifter
JLT cold air
4.30's
Nitto Dr's
Lose the STB and put on full length subframe connecters

he will love that car soooo much it will be ridiculous lol

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
It's my fathers car. I will see what he wants to do. He won't be doing too much racing, just cruising. It already has lowering springs. Bone stock otherwise. So midpipe, catback, JLT CAI and a MGW. Sounds good. BTW, do you guys replace the plugs with factory stuff or NGK's?

98_cobra

N/A SnAkE
Established Member
white98snake said:
he said nice easy bolt on's

headers will cost 500+ then u gotta install them which is a PITA,

BBK o/r H
Mac catback
Tri-ax shifter
JLT cold air
4.30's
Nitto Dr's
Lose the STB and put on full length subframe connecters

he will love that car soooo much it will be ridiculous lol

He says what would be the best for money and quality nothing about nice easy bolt ons.

imo if ur father wants it to sound better yes, do some type of mid pipe. weather its a X or H pipe ( off road or not) and any brand of exhaust really would sound good. And then id throw in some numerically higher gears like 4.30's and he should be on his way. i really wouldnt waste my money on headers and a c.a.i then.

Users who are viewing this thread