Basic Budget Drag Setup for a Newbie?

SBVERT03

Established Member
So I've never been to the track before, and I would really like to change that soon! Therefore I am looking for some advice on a basic wheel/tire setup that will keep me safe and hopefully keep my chances of breaking something as low as possible. Lol. Seeing as how I'm just testing the waters, I don't need to go out and break the bank just yet. Lol. I really want something that will mount right up without any grinding or banging if I can find it.

I currently am running some 18" saleens with toyo 275/30/18 hp extensas up front and 305/30/18 R888's out back. I'm guessing I would have a pretty rough time at the track with that setup. Haha. I still have my IRS, with a bushing kit and upgraded half shafts.

I have seen people talk about using some 16" V6 pony wheels as a budget option? Any other popular setups out there? What about rear tires for minimizing shock to the IRS?

Thanks guys!

SBVERT03

Established Member
get some stock gt 17" wheels wrap them with MT ET streets youll be set :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback man! I will definitely look into that. I know I could get some of those rims quick and cheap! Two things I'm curious about though are what are the pros and cons of:

16's vs 17's and ET Streets vs ET Drags?

Mystic03

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback man! I will definitely look into that. I know I could get some of those rims quick and cheap! Two things I'm curious about though are what are the pros and cons of:

16's vs 17's and ET Streets vs ET Drags?

i dont see much of a difference from 16-17's.. but ive only ran 17 et streets nothin but good things too 1.5 60's no wheel hop 650/600 on stock 95k irs with just a brace

ET streets in action
[youtube_browser]rRx7UOphAkI[/youtube_browser]

bubblehead93

Established Member
I like my Hoosier 28x10-17 drag slicks... air down to 12-14 lbs and let fly... to do it all over again, i would have skipped the drag radials... waste of my time and money... larger diameter tire on these cars makes all the difference with all of the torque these cars make...

SBVERT03

Established Member
i dont see much of a difference from 16-17's.. but ive only ran 17 et streets nothin but good things too 1.5 60's no wheel hop 650/600 on stock 95k irs with just a brace

ET streets in action
[youtube_browser]rRx7UOphAkI[/youtube_browser]

Do you run the ET street radials or bias ply? If you run the bias ply out back do you have to run skinnies up front?

SBVERT03

Established Member
01 gt wheels and racestar front runners

Gotcha. If I'm looking for an all out budget setup, would spares work up front? I also remember people talking about diamond racing wheels as a pretty cheap option. I may look into those.

Users who are viewing this thread