Bass music playing outside home

Brian Baskin

Established Member
Maybe this upsets me because it is a huge pet peeve. I tolerate people that sit at stop lights with their music all the way up, because at least I can roll my windows up to block it. But when they play bass at full volume, and now I can no longer have a conversation in my vehicle, then I get pissed.

But, at home, how can I appropriately deal with this? I unfortunately chose to live in a very 'ethnically diverse' area, in a townhome apartment. So the whole area has young people sitting on their 'stoops' drinking and smoking and listening to extremely loud bass music from their vehicles. Sometimes I hear it, but can't see the car, until I hear it driving up, from over a 1/4 mile away. Are there any reasonable steps that I can do to stop this problem, without being charged for 'harassment' or manslaughter :fm: The problem is that they'll drive up to a neighbor's house, sit out there for 20 minutes listening to the music (and shaking the pictures on my walls), then leave. Then half an hour later, others would arrive at another apartment, etc. So, if I did contact the police, the perps would most likely be gone before any officers arrived.

I had a problem with a tenant that moved in next door, who for three weeks played bass music all day and night. I finally left him an anonymous flaming note on the door, and he cut it out. But, I'm sure that note could've done some bad things for me if it was taken to the police.

So does anyone have any advice? I'm here for at least another six months. I'd like to go one single night and just sit here and read a book, relaxing from a long day at work, without hearing the 'BOOM BOOM' constantly outside, but I don't want to piss everyone off around here either.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
If it's where you can see them, write down plate numbers...if the same ones do it several times, keep track of times and dates and then call the police and give plate numbers.

Brian Baskin

Established Member
Thanks, I'll start doing that, maybe they'll get a clue if people are walking around their cars. I'm curious if the local police would even bother with something like this. This is a rather busy urban area.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Brian, where do you live?

Check with the local PD on noise ordinance. I know there are areas around here with them and they have signs posted with the fines on the sign as well.

Although my neighborhood is quite quiet, the main road that leads to the beaches and water by my home get packed with folks playing that crap with lots of bass and not good quality. I often am in one of my cars and they are behind me and my mirrors shake and my heart palpitates.

I feel your pain.

Hulk,

Oh yah, MOVE!!!

Brian Baskin

Established Member
Just realized my location field wasn't filled in. It's a town called Glen Burnie, MD. About 15 miles south of Baltimore.

And, ahh.. it's 10 o'clock on a Sunday night, and I was just woken up to the peaceful noises of loud bass. I hate this area :(

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I had this exact same problem. It was a total nightmare. The people were really nice when you'd meat them but after 10:30pm they would party scream, throw trash everywhere, AND THE LOUDE SCREAMING AND MUSIC.... AGGGHHH!

I felt like an old stooge (only 31 at the time). I first nicely talked to them. They appologized but it continued a few hours later and the next day, and the next day....

I kept calling 911 and talked to the office. If the police are sent to the residence enough times and if the office knows about it and has given them warnings and they continue then they will get evicted. BUT YOU HAVE TO LET THE OFFICE KNOW AND YOU HAVE TO CALL THE POLICE (sorry bout the caps but it's very important that you do this). Even if it seems like calling the police is over the top.

It took a couple months but those guys are now gone and I've got really cool (normal) neighbors now. Peace and quite

Hope this advice encourages you.

Brian Baskin

Established Member
Ugg, here we go again. haven't heard a peep from my neighbors since their move-in. Wife just called me at work and said that they were playing their bass music again :mj: So I guess I won't be going home. Been down with the flu/cold this whole last week, and going home to that, right now with my head throbbing, will definitely lead me to manslaughter. :cryying:

nyk438

Established Member
Didn't you post this over at [H]? Just throw a few moltov cocktails at the cars they'll go away :burn:

Then they'll remember not to sit there :nono:

Ginsu

Established Member
I feel your pain! At on apartment I had a similar problem and a couple times a day I was calling the leasing office. This was after I tried to rectify it myself by politely talking to the resident first. Theoritically after enough complaints the management should start eviction for violating a condition of their lease. Unfortunately that apartment did not and I ended up moving to a much more peaceful place.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
:) I just graduated from Newbie Cheeze

PM me if you truly want to know who I am over there.

Users who are viewing this thread