Bassani Failed CA Smog

Shanesstang

Established Member
Hi All. I have full Bassani exhaust on my 03 (had since 04) and I now have the check engine light and failed smog check. The mechanic told me bad cats. I still own the stock stuff (been outside next to the garage since). Should I put the cat-back in? Do you think it will work? And can anyone help me do this? I am in Pasadena.
Thanks,
Shane

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Hi All. I have full Bassani exhaust on my 03 (had since 04) and I now have the check engine light and failed smog check. The mechanic told me bad cats. I still own the stock stuff (been outside next to the garage since). Should I put the cat-back in? Do you think it will work? And can anyone help me do this? I am in Pasadena.
Thanks,
Shane

When did your CEL come on? Putting the stock catback in will do nothing to solve your issue of passing smog. If it truly is just your cats, you will need to swap back to the stock midpipe, or buy new cats and swap them into your x, assuming it was still a 5 piece in 04 and they were never welded in. I'm surprised they didn't fail you right off the bat on the visual for having aftermarket cats in CA.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
This is Kalifornia... you should know better than to go smog when not stock...

From the way it sounds, he had a cool tech, who didn't fail him for the aftermarket system, visually. He said he had a CEL and must have been over the maximum PPM and the tech speculated it was because his cats were bad. We'll know more when the OP clarifies.

SVTPete83

Established Member
Just put the stock midpipe in and you're good to go. I swap mine every 2 years for smog time

SVTPete83

Established Member
Jack stands and sockets is all you need. Usually takes me 45 mins. Remove 02 sensors, loosen the back 4 bolts, then the fronts. I recommend having a spare exhaust gasket handy. I replace mine every time.

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
full exhaust you said so bassani headers too right? I dont think you can fit the Stock mid pipes with headers without some cutting. I live in cali and also have full Bassani system. headers, Hi flow cats and cat back X pipe. Stock fuel system pullyed with cai and AED tune and I passed smog last saturday. but it sniffed close to fail. I would have the O2's replaced and pop off the cats and inspect them, replace if clogged. what code did the reader pull up? Check it, clear the code, run your car though a drive cycle, check again that your car has cleared a P1000 code, then spend the extra money on a pre-check smog. Or return entire exhaust to stock. not fun with the headers if you have stock K member

AMB

Established Member
Bassani CATS

If you have a cool tech, just replace the Bassani Cats with the "STOCK CATS" !!! You don't the pre-liteoff cats, just the two regular stock cats!!! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread