Battery dead 4-months...what to expect

raustin0017

Established Member
Okay...here is the deal. I work in Kuwait City my home is in South Carolina. In January I returned back to Kuwait and my 2014 GT500 was in the garage under cover with a battery tender connected. In March a very good friend went to start up the beast and take it out for a drive. The car was dead. Nothing, no power at all. Told him to unplug, cover it up and let it set.

I return home in a few weeks. My guess is that the battery (for some reason) has been dead for 4-6 months.

Will I run into any problems when I replace the battery and try and start her up?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

railroad

Established Member
Sitting dead is hard on a battery. You might be fortunate enough to charge it, drive to NAPA and have them load test the battery. If the battery is good, your tender is probably bad. Also most battery tenders will not bring a battery up to full charge, only maintain a full charge. If your friend starts the car repeatedly, does not allow the alternator to bring it up to full charge before shutting down, the battery is being drained. I have not had good luck with optima batteries sitting, even with a tender on them.
If you need to replace the battery, it seems the computer will learn faster with a couple of minutes of idle time. This may be an old procedure and not be applicable to our cars.

Last edited:

Established Member
I have had terrible luck with battery tender brand products. You may want to consider a smart charger like Ctek or Accumate to preserve your new battery.

Users who are viewing this thread