Battery Disconnects

BAMM BAMM

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
To those of you who have installed one...... what brand/part number did you go with? I'm in the process of relocating my battery to the bed to make space under the hood for a bigger reservoir. In order to race this season, I'll need a battery disconnect switch on the rear of the truck to pass tech. Also, has anyone figured out the correct way to wire this up so the power is TOTALLY cut? By the way... this is also a DD, so the alternator is still installed and I've been reading that there are extra cables that need to be run to the switch from the alternator so I don't fry my ECU when the power is cut. I need some help! Maybe a wiring diagram from somebody? And what disconnect is best?

Scarpino

Established Member
Since alot of us have picked up the tank off eaby...it seems we all will need to do this sooner or later. The problem is, I have asked questions and so has others with not much help. Tims Skeltons disconnect switch link clearly states he doesnt know about hooking up the alternator yet, and from what I gathered from his page, He was basically running trial and error until he got it figured out.

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/...y_relocate.htm

The other issue I have as some may have as well is that some people have fabricated a plate to mount behind the lisence and punted the switch into the plate. My problem with this is....well, I dont have any fabricating tools or the resources it would cost to have one made would be rediculous.

Are you guys putting your battery at the rear of the bed or near the cab? I use my truck as a truck sometimes, but I also would love to have the added weight distrubation with the battery behind the rear-end.

Last edited:

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
I have my battery in a marine box in my bed. I put the box at the front of the bed, passenger side. I made the cables myself and ran them through one of the OEM rubber gromments in the front bed wall. I'm not running a power cut-off switch yet, but I've been looking at just putting it in the positive cable right before the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread