Battery draining

zPipes

Established Member
Hey all. Im having battery drain problems. I thought it was because I let the car sit a couple months, and so I replaced the battery. Still same prob, thought it was a bad farad cap at the amp, took it out. No dice, still drained. Anyone have an idea where to go next? Terminal connections are tight.

jacker1991

Established Member
How bad is it? Mine only last 2 days. Haven't done anything about it since I use my car every day but I know it's #39 GEM. Starting to wonder if it's related to my odometer issues, it comes and goes.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
There is one wire in the GEM that, if you pull it out, and cap it, solves the battery drain issue 50% of the time, and doesn't effect anything else in the car. I can't remember which wire (it's black, I think), but it worked for me!

zPipes

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I did some searching and found a lot of threads about that gem 39. Apparently there are like 7 fuses that run off that, but I havent yet found what the root is. Looks like people are having about a 160amp draw from this thing that kills the battery. Im doing to do more searching this weekend.

I wonder why I am all the sudden having this problem now though. I do drive the car much less now days, Last year was about 1 or two times a week. Ok, so maybe I am letting it sit for weeks on end, but shit, were talking a ford motorcraft battery. That shit should last months without being started right? Drawing from a battery when the car is off is bull.

zPipes

Established Member
Wow, so much reading, but such helpful information. Im going to paraphrase a few things and I have a question.

See Shururs' post for links, its #7 http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/852160-fuse-power-drain-help-needed.html

GhostRider117 on Allfordmustangs did a pretty nice writeup with great info. Narrowing it down he says to disconnect the black wire in the gem, which is located above the kick panel on drivers side. (1.1)

According to a writeup on modifiedlife(1.2) that is the Domelight Supervision Wire.

From researching that, it seems that wire has to do with turning your dome lights on/off when you use the remote to lock/unlock doors, and also the light delay after you close your door.

Ok so to the question. Ghostrider had a 2003 v6, and thats a 1999 wiring diagram. Would all this information be pretty standard for 99-04 and all submodels?

GEM_zps0b341873.jpg

WiringDiagram2_zps0a4a72ba.jpg

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
It may not be related, but consider cleaning up the door latches with contact cleaner as well.

jacker1991

Established Member
From which Mustang is that picture? I ask because I just checked mine and it is not the same. :(

zPipes

Established Member
That's a 2003 v6, but it is the same as my 2001 v8. How is yours different, what do you see? If you can post a pic.

lilbuddy

Established Member
Maybe this explains why my dome light doesn't come on when I open the doors. Only works when I flip the switch.

baller1svtcobra

Established Member
Some of the wires in my 01 cobra are completely cut! Previous owner had an alarm system installed then uninstalled for some reason. I have no problem with my battery draining though

jacker1991

Established Member
My 99 Cobra. Seems to me like mine has a few more cables...WTF! Lols.

IMG_3209_zpsc887b2c2.jpg

IMG_3212_zps0e495965.jpg

IMG_3210_zpsc9844676.jpg

Last edited:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I had a crazy parasitic drain problem in addition to a sporadic fuel pump issue. The fuel pump would cut out and the car would stall. At the same time, the passenger side turn signal indicator would come on (not flash). It would start back up every time after I cycled the ignition back on, but after a couple seconds, it would cut out again.

I'm pretty sure these two issues were related. It wasn't the GEM. And it wasn't the CCRM module in the passenger fenderwell.

There was a loose connector near the passenger side valve cover. It was a big gray and black one.

Point being, check all the grounds and make sure all the connectors in the engine compartment are properly snapped into place.

One of the most helpful tools I've ever seen for diagnosing electrical problems is the "Power Probe - The Hook". Power Probe, Inc.

Literally, it does everything. Powers circuits. Measures current drain. You may be able to rent one from the local parts store.

zPipes

Established Member
Jacker you have the same setup. Your seeing a bunch of wires tapped into the factory harness. Thats most likely for your aftermarket car alarm, or the one that used to be on the car. Like that button there, thats probably where he ran a new trunk switch so he didnt have to reach over every time, or maybe a secret push button start, or something.

The black/white wire on mine looks more brown, but here is the schematic so you know exactly what one it is:

The wires in this black 12-pin connector for the GEM are as follows:

brown/red____________yellow/white
gray/blue_____________(empty)
purple/yellow__________(empty)
black/white(removed)___(empty) <====== This one. Mine looks kinda brown and white lol.
(empty)_______________black/blue
black/purple___________(empty)

Last edited:

jacker1991

Established Member
LOL! I just saw the button. Wonder what it is??
brown/red____________yellow/white
gray/blue_____________(empty)
purple/yellow__________(empty)
black/white(removed)___(empty) <====== This one. Mine looks kinda brown and white lol.
(empty)_______________black/blue
black/purple___________(empty)

Is that from my car or yours? Or is it just instructions? Either way, thanks a lot everyone. This is driving me crazy. My car has gone down to 48 hours or less, meaning, if I wait more than that without starting my car it will not have enough charge to start the car. After 50-60 hours, the car, including the alarm is dead. Have to use the actual key to open it. I hate having electric issues!

Thanks again!
Mike out. :D

zPipes

Established Member
Thats not from a viewpoint. its a schematic. Think of this as a picture, it shows two sides, one with lots of wires and one with not so many. Each of those represents one slot. Look at your clip, see the one side with lots of ''empty" slots?

The black/white wire is the on on the side with lots of wires in it, and between an empty slot and a slot with a purple/yellow wire in it.

As far as the button. push it see what happens. It's prolly a trunk pop, or pass door pop, maybe a panic button, starter kill, who knows. With the car off push the button if nothing happens, turn the car on and push it. Im curious to know now lol.

jacker1991

Established Member
Me too, maybe a bought a superhero's car. Lols! On a serious note, will be doing a few tests tomorrow. Thanks a lot for all the help guys. Will report back with some answers as soon as I can.

jacker1991

Established Member
Update! The button so far does nothing, with the car on or off. Or at least nothing that I can notice. Also, my Black/White Cable is already cut and it's connected to a blue cable that looks like it did not come with the car originally. I am guessing it has something to do with the aftermarket alarm. Thanks for all the help so far!

Mike out! :D

Users who are viewing this thread