battery light on

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
under wide open throttle battery light will come on, goes back off when i let off and return to cruising, a/f ratio is 9.0-9.2 under wot, dont know if this is related,so rich in 1st gear she floods out at 4500rpm
4#lower
2.90 upper
3.2 alt. pulley
blue top battery, bought brand new for $150,couldnt turn down that price.
battery is fully charged,haven't data logged any voltage yet.
if it is the alternator, which do i puchase?
i still have warranty on my car but dont like the service,they like to leave the windows down in the rain and flooded my car the one time i did allow warranty service.they are careless

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
Alternator, this same situation happened to me and it was my alternator. It started out only during WOT, then when cruising lightly accellarating it would come on...then I raced someone and when I got home I turned my car off and tried to crank it back up and it wouldn't start back up. I had a stock alternator pulley with a 3.5upper/4# lower, I upgraded to a PA alternator 170amps @ WOT and a 3.2 alt. pulley afterwards. PA are good alternators but some people have had problems with them but non here. If you do decide to go with the PA, give LFP a call and work something out with them and see if you can get a good price on one. Goodluck, Sorry to read about your dillema.

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
Alternator, this same situation happened to me and it was my alternator. It started out only during WOT, then when cruising lightly accellarating it would come on...then I raced someone and when I got home I turned my car off and tried to crank it back up and it wouldn't start back up. I had a stock alternator pulley with a 3.5upper/4# lower, I upgraded to a PA alternator 170amps @ WOT and a 3.2 alt. pulley afterwards. PA are good alternators but some people have had problems with them but non here. If you do decide to go with the PA, give LFP a call and work something out with them and see if you can get a good price on one. Goodluck, Sorry to read about your dillema.
+1 yep alternator, mine too, warranty covered it and they said it is quite common.:beer:

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
bought pa alternator 170amp, my stock alternator lasted 1.5years. i would like a way to put the alternator on the accessory drive belt and not share the alternator with the blower belt, i disagree with this set-up.with all these damn amps should i get an amp and sub-woof ?

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
[ i would like a way to put the alternator on the accessory drive belt and not share the alternator with the blower belt, i disagree with this set-up.
+1000 me too! Loose one belt and the car is dead. Too bad someone can't make an idler with a free wheeling pulley for the alternator to run off of. That way it could be close and be a short belt.

racebronco2

Established Member
If your alternator is in good shape just take it to get the diodes replaced. Cost me 55.00, a few other friends have had the same problem as you described. I was told that the diodes fail one at a time reducing the charging amps til the light stays on all the time.

kyStang1889

Ford Tech
Established Member
3.2 alt. pulley

thats your problem put the stock pulley back on and get a new alt. or your going to burn them up and keep having to replace it,

your factory warrenty won't cover that b.c of the pully either i'd take it off and go into the dealer and if they say they won't cover it, raise hell and they'll probably take care of it for you.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
thanks all, i bought the pa 170amp. i will have the diodes replaced in my stocker so i have a back-up.i have warranty but cant honestly take for warranty service for all the pulley mods and i dont appreciate the way my dealer damages my car everytime it has gone there,twice.i wonder if i should buy the 3.5"alternater pulley and use instead of the 3.2 i'm using now. overspinning and heat i know is whats wrong,its the same with the ford focus,the alternaters get no air in there present placement.i still want to know if anyone knows how to change the alternater to the accessory drive belt and not the blower belt, i've blown my belt before 35 miles from home and barely made it home on baterry power.i am going to mount a cooling duct to my alternator to cool it:burn:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
kyStang1889 said:
thats your problem put the stock pulley back on and get a new alt. or your going to burn them up and keep having to replace it,

Bullshit. No way in God's green earth that pulley caused this. In fact, that pulley can help the life of the alternator. The worst case scenario is the larger pulley would diminish charging at idle and very low rpm's.

Please do a search through Hermann's threads. He came up with some interesting information a while back where the alternators on these cars could not keep up with the demands of the fuel system at high rpm's and was causing the fuel pump voltage to fall and lean the motor. So you need to get this fixed asap.

Users who are viewing this thread