Battery Relocation

Xenom

Established Member
Just wanted to know who all has moved their battery to their trunk. Going to parts store to buy parts and had a few questions. Was just wondering how you move the battery tray without the fuse panel under the hood(as in are they connected have not had much of a chance to look but was just curious if any one knew.)

00tourSVT

Established Member
dont move the tray, i have relocated my battery and i will say it will be easier to buy a relocation kit from summit. it had everything i needed except a distribution block (for the positive wires in the front) that i just bought at a car audio store. if you don't want to get a kit from summit then look online at there site and see what is all in the kit then go buy it locally. you will need a battery box though, and as far as the tray in front i just took it out and cut mine to leave just enough to mount the fuse box as it was. (oh and run the wires in the car, it is alot easier)

here is a pic of the front, you can see the distribution block. i don't have a pic of the trunk, but i can take one if you would like to see it.
DSC00845.gif

Last edited:

blowns281

GARAGE QUEEN
Established Member
I have a relocation kit I will sell, comes with box, wire and all connnectors, new in box, pm if interested

brapple

Established Member
dont move the tray, i have relocated my battery and i will say it will be easier to buy a relocation kit from summit. it had everything i needed except a distribution block (for the positive wires in the front) that i just bought at a car audio store. if you don't want to get a kit from summit then look online at there site and see what is all in the kit then go buy it locally. you will need a battery box though, and as far as the tray in front i just took it out and cut mine to leave just enough to mount the fuse box as it was. (oh and run the wires in the car, it is alot easier)

here is a pic of the front, you can see the distribution block. i don't have a pic of the trunk, but i can take one if you would like to see it.
DSC00845.gif

hpw and where did you run the power wire in the car, I will be doing this soon and am looking for some insight

00tourSVT

Established Member
i will take a picture in the trunk tonight so you can see the location. but as far as running the positive and neg cables, first i ran about 4 feet of negative cable from the battery in the truck to under the rear seat used the seat belt anchor as the ground location. then the positive was run under rear seat, to drivers side and run along under the bottom door trim, then up behind fuse panel through a grommet that is located right behind the cruise control box under the hood. then just routed to my distribution block location. the engine ground was taken to a spot right behind the dist. block, see picture above. make sure all grounds accounted for and in a nice bare metal locations and you are good to go.

here is the relocation kit i used:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG1231%2DK&N=700+115&autoview=sku

you will need a little extra negative wire than what the kit gives to use the same grounding location i did, or just find another location.

this isn't the exact distribution block i got but is the type you will need
http://www.streetwires.com/products/default.aspx?grp=62

it needs an input size of at least a 4ga., if not a 1/0 to be safe, and if the outputs on the block are 8ga. then they will need to be massaged a little to get some of the power wires in there, or just get one with 4ga. outputs instead of 8ga. (at least 3 outputs as well)

let me know if you have any other questions.

brapple

Established Member
ok that routing is just how I have my amp wires running at the moment. I had 0/1 guage wire to run and wasn't sure how it would work in that routing as the four guage I have at the moment was alittle tight under the trim. I have a firewall bushing and I have two distribution blocks for both positive and ground wires. I also have a circuit breaker for the trunk also.

what I have to deside is how I mount the battery. I have a optima red top and got a nice billet battery plate for it, but I am thinking that I really should have it in a box anyway.

00tourSVT

Established Member
what I have to deside is how I mount the battery. I have a optima red top and got a nice billet battery plate for it, but I am thinking that I really should have it in a box anyway.

sometimes i like the look of the billet plate mounting, i like how clean the look of the box is in my car and a little security it brings from maybe flying objects that may find there way into the trunk.

still going to get a trunk pic, but we had some severe weather last night and didn't want to walk out to the garage.

00tourSVT

Established Member
here you go, i finally got a picture in the trunk this evening, i think it's pretty clean.....can you see any wires? let me know if you need anything else.
batterybox.jpg

TOZOVR

Established Member
ok that routing is just how I have my amp wires running at the moment. I had 0/1 guage wire to run and wasn't sure how it would work in that routing as the four guage I have at the moment was alittle tight under the trim. I have a firewall bushing and I have two distribution blocks for both positive and ground wires. I also have a circuit breaker for the trunk also.

Really no need to box an optima or any similar battery (odyssey etc).

00tourSVT

Established Member
Really no need to box an optima or any similar battery (odyssey etc).

true, but any battery can leak, even optima and such if they are damaged. whether it be fumes or fluid i wanted a little extra protection to maybe catch it in the box if i don't know it has been damaged. oh, and for even extra secrurity the box is vented to the outside, but it is hidden as well.

Xenom

Established Member
Thanks.

I had to just improvise, I moved to Texas last week(wanted to get this out of the way moved into an aptment so no garage) I had to have a new battery so I decided that I would just rig something up. I bought a cheap container for a popup camper and just bolted it to my trunk. 15 ft of 1g wire and just ran it along the frame rail by the brake cables. Does not look that bad but it does the job I will take some pics to show but it works.

brapple

Established Member
Here is how my battery relocation turned out in case anyone is interested. I also still need to install my ground distribution block but this will work for the moment.

03-10-08_1908.jpg

03-10-08_1909.jpg

03-10-08_1912.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread