BBK H-PIPE and header question

Black96vert

Established Member
Getting ready to do the mid-pipe catless and cat back on my 96 cobra convertible. I am going to be installing a bbk catless h-pipe and a flowmaster 44 catback. My question is I am not sure what headers I will install in the future. Do you think I will have a problem with hooking the headers up to this midpipe in the future. I live in SC so there are no strict emissions here. I am thinking of sticking with BBK for the headers since I have a TKO 500 and a brand new clutch and hopefully will not need to remove the tranny for any reason for a long while. I just want your thoughts.

Here is a link to the mid-pipe I am planning on buying.

BBK Shorty H-Pipe Off-Road (96-04 GT, Bullitt, Mach 1 and Cobra) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Thanks,

mystical

Established Member
BBK longtubes will fit that pipe but I'm not sure how you plan on installing the h pipe in the meantime without them?

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
the h-pipe you listed is for long tube headers only. you need an h-pipe for factory manifolds and/or shorty headers.

Black96vert

Established Member
That is kind of a waste of money to get an aftermarket h-pipe that I will not even need later. I am worried the convertible will be too loud with long tube headers too. It may be too much (exhaust noise) to go from a stock exhaust to full exhaust with long tubes all at once. Your thoughts.

mystical

Established Member
Headers will not effect the loudness of the car, in fact they may quiet it down some going from stock manifolds with an offroad pipe to headers. It's the lack of cats and the mufflers that will determine volume.

Black96vert

Established Member
Thanks I understand a lot better now. I think I will get the catback and an intake done now and then get the h-pipe and headers done together sometime in the future.

APMotorsports

Established Member
Yeah hold off on the h-pipe until you decide about your headers. The cat-back will be the biggest factor in the sound of the car, and the headers and h-pipe will be the biggest factor in the change of power. So if you want a little more horse and a lot more sound=cat-back, or if you don't care about sound as much as more power=headers and mid-pipe. Keep in mind with BBK and Mac longtubes you have to loosen and or remove the passenger header (pain in the butt) to take the tranny out for a clutch change! Where as Hooker, Kooks, or Bassani you don't...

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I have an O/R x-pipe and flowmasters and my car screams...I was looking at getting some shorties... way to damn exspensive, the only ones I could find were from JBA and they were titanium coated and $700... so you may as well go with long tubes

Users who are viewing this thread