bbk longtubes.. worth it?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Happened to come across a damn good deal (need to physically verify their condition), on a set of used bbk longtube headers. Came off of an 03 cobra. What is the general opinion on BBK headers? Any known issues? Fitment? Clearance? anything else?

cobracloud

Established Member
i dont have a set of those but when i started looking for a set of headers people told me the fitment and clearance sucked on bbk's, i went with mac ceramics for 425.00-the fit and clearance are excellent and i can remove my c4 trans without unbolting the headers-i could also remove the t56 without unbolting, just had to twist and wiggle a little bit, save your money til you have enough, that way you are putting new parts on your car-thats what your car deseves:coolman:

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
I hadn't intended on doing headers right now, but they are 100 bucks. LOL

I am leary of used parts, but like i said, i need to see them to get a better idea of what condition they are in.

MJR_TRBL

Established Member
they are worth it and that's a hell of a buy. when you put them on reserve a whole day because it could take 4 hours or 14 hours there plenty of frustrating times when putting headers on these cars for the first time.

100 bucks is def worth the hp the LT's will provide and they sound better than shorty headers do.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Im not worried about the install, i will have my mechanic help me and he has a lift, but i would still reserve a weekend probably JIC. Gonna need another tune i guess too huh?

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
IMO bbk is crap quality and I would never put that on my car. ARH and Kooks FTW! I love my ARH's.

But $100 isint bad at all.

f2hatch

Established Member
I have them on my car with no complaints. I got a similar deal as you. Ground clearance is not that bad and my car is slammed I actually gained clearance over my stock headers and UPR off road x-pipe. For $100 how can you go wrong you will be more then happy with them. If you are doing them on a lift do yourself a favor and remove the K-member. After that the install really wont be that bad. When i did mine it took about 5 hours the next week did some Kooks on my buddy's Mach 1 and the BBK fit better in my opinion. You could go with with ARH or Kooks but your going to spend 10x as much.

f2hatch

Established Member
Can you drop the trans with the bbks installed?

Yes i snapped my input shaft on my trans shortly after the install and was able to get the trans out without even having to loosen the headers, It was tight but out is out. While it was out i clearanced the bell-housing a little just to make it a little easier but it wasn't needed.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
now how many of yall have dented headers? They were on a lowered car and they arent in bad shape, but i checked them out tonight and they do have some dents from bottoming out at some point. Nothing is kinked and the flange connection is not hurt...

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Would not put BBK's on a Terminator. Too nice of a car to srimp on a modification like long tube headers. The MAC ceramics for $425+/- would be a low as I would consider.

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
Would not put BBK's on a Terminator. Too nice of a car to srimp on a modification like long tube headers. The MAC ceramics for $425+/- would be a low as I would consider.
+1....Aren't the 1 5/8ths pretty small for a boosted car? I love the quality of my ARH's. With most terminator owners flashing their money around by most of them buying CCW and TF wheels, I would never expect to see bbk on a terminator.

RussZTT

Established Member
+1....Aren't the 1 5/8ths pretty small for a boosted car? I love the quality of my ARH's. With most terminator owners flashing their money around by most of them buying CCW and TF wheels, I would never expect to see bbk on a terminator.
Not at all. You can run those up to 700+rwhp (give or take) before going bigger. Hell, I built a turbo Mustang that ran 9s with 1 5/8 headers flipped around.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Thats what i needed to know guys. I hadnt heard much regarding bbk's on Cobras, so I wanted to check. Guess i will hold off on headers until i am for sure ready for them. Plus it would be nice to have a brand new set on rather than used and dented ones.

Thanks

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
Thats what i needed to know guys. I hadnt heard much regarding bbk's on Cobras, so I wanted to check. Guess i will hold off on headers until i am for sure ready for them. Plus it would be nice to have a brand new set on rather than used and dented ones.

Thanks
+1...Save up and buy a new nice brand new set :rockon:

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member

Thanks

Dude, I have ran several sets of BBK headers and have NEVER had an issue with them.. i laugh when people spend the 700+ dollars on a set of headers and it ain't doing no differtence in performance and you can't even really see the sons of bitches... ...i live right down the street from MAC... i see what goes on there from time to time. :rollseyes I AM gonna run the BBK's... do your self a favor and get those BBK's and then get a K-member and do the whole shibang in one outting. :beer:

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
I have BBK longtubes on my cobra. No problems whatsoever, just a slight noise when the engine is cold (shaking) of headers touching the k member (or touching the steering not sure) They were on a 700rwhp n20 whipple for 10k miles and on my cobra for 15k and no problems and they still look good.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I have bbk headers and love them! Only reason i got them is becuase I was getting a k member and I knew a guy getting out of the car scene that was selling new bbk ceramic lts for $330.

Of course I would rather have kooks or american racing but 900+ on headers for not much gain no thanks.

Some may not run bbk headers due to them being "cheap" and thats fine, but please tell me you arent one of those people running kooks with chokemasters....

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
I mainly passed up the deal because of just how dented they were. granted it was not dented to the point of a hole in the exhaust, but it was significant (at least in my eyes) for something i was looking at installing. I know they will all end up ugly and have a good chance of being dented, but i dont want to put it on there with it already dented up. Im not someone that has to have the best/most expensive, but i also dont want to install something that i feel is pretty well beaten up...and the dented/rusted bottom was just not worth it for me. Im keeping my eyes open for other offers but in case anyone is wondering, the current exhaust system on the car is what i got with the car..its alllllll gotta change. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread