BBK Off-Road XPipe/HPipe Discontinued?

ChromeYellowCobra

Established Member
Hey fellas,

A couple weeks ago I ordered a BBK Off-Road XPipe for my 98 Cobra on AmericanMuscle (stock manifolds). Days went by and I still didn't receive any shipping updates. Called AM twice and both times they promised that it will ship soon. Today I received an e-mail saying it's discontinued :oops:

Called BBK and the lady couldn't even locate the item. Said she'd call back if she had any luck, but not counting on it.

I searched all over and the only Off-Road XPipes I could only find online were from UPR and Bassani.

Does anyone know if I have any other options? I heard good things about UPR, but haven't been able to find many sound clips of either of those on YouTube.

Thank you

Last edited:

boost88

Established Member
The only options you have are bassani and vrs or the used market. I ran into the same deal and ended up going bassani

Upr does not sell theirs anymore as an FYI. I called and they just haven't taken it off the site.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

boost88

Established Member
Pypes sells the catted version still and I couldn't find the Dr gas one on its website just the x section.

Summit and jegs both discontinued their house brand stuff if I remember right. I know jegs did because I talked to their sale dept.

If you buy the bassani get it from lethal, it's the cheapest place to get it

ChromeYellowCobra

Established Member
boost88
98 svt
01yellercobra

Thank you for the responses. I wasn't able to find any Dr. Gas or Pypes Off-Road XPipes for a 98 Cobra.

98 svt - I couldn't find any vrs Off-Road XPipes for stock manifolds on their website. And oddly enough, I called UPR earlier this afternoon and he claimed they still have 8 in stock?? Wonder why they're telling people different things.

Assuming I'm able to purchase from UPR - what are your guys thoughts on UPR vs Bassani? Obviously a big price difference but wondering about sound quality, performance

boost88

Established Member
I haven't had any experience with the upr.

My take: the bassani piece is everything you would expect for 400 bucks. Perfect fitment and a quality looking piece. The 5 piece makes installing it simple.

That being said I'm a tight ass and would buy the upr if I did it again because I like saving money.

As far as sound and performance I doubt there is much of a difference if any at all

ChromeYellowCobra

Established Member
I haven't had any experience with the upr.

My take: the bassani piece is everything you would expect for 400 bucks. Perfect fitment and a quality looking piece. The 5 piece makes installing it simple.

That being said I'm a tight ass and would buy the upr if I did it again because I like saving money.

As far as sound and performance I doubt there is much of a difference if any at all
lol I feel that man - I'm hella "frugal" :p

Do you have any sound clips of your Bassani OR XPipe?

PS someone on a FB SN95 group told me the EPA will not allow catless midpipes anymore :|

boost88

Established Member
I just checked and it doesn't look like I do

Paul, upr lists theirs as 409 stainless so I think it's all the same. The bassani midsection seems to be polished but I think that's all it is
b8996796430e58fcdfa56845f8b5640f.jpg

boost88

Established Member
I've had the same Bassani X since 2004. I'm definitely a fan.

Don't forget all of the mid pipes are the same 96-04. Including the 2V's.
I think the 99+ changed transmission cross members. I had a Mac x pipe I got from a guy and it would not fit on my 97 because the trans crossmemeber was in the way. Could just have been the Mac I guess. But this picture is an overlay of that x section on top of the stocker
226bc2957216c25e433730e7591ec7bd.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think the 99+ changed transmission cross members. I had a Mac x pipe I got from a guy and it would not fit on my 97 because the trans crossmemeber was in the way. Could just have been the Mac I guess. But this picture is an overlay of that x section on top of the stocker View attachment 1682726

They did change the cross member. But your issue would have been the mid pipe then. My mid pipe has been on a 98 GT, 01 Cobra, and my current 04. At some point I cut off the cross member support, but it didn't block anything.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I just checked and it doesn't look like I do

Paul, upr lists theirs as 409 stainless so I think it's all the same. The bassani midsection seems to be polished but I think that's all it is View attachment 1682716

I figured the UPR would be aluminum or "aluminized steel".

patc84

Established Member
UPR used to use aluminized steel when i worked there back 05-10. dont know if its changed since.

also EPA is going after everything for disabling and modifying emissions related components both hardware and software.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Well, I just got off the phone with American Racing, and ordered the long tube and x-pipe combo with both catted and the non-catted elbows for the x-pipe. Hehe

Daniel_Mc

Established Member
Well, I just got off the phone with American Racing, and ordered the long tube and x-pipe combo with both catted and the non-catted elbows for the x-pipe. Hehe

Nice! I have been considering the 1 7/8" ARH system for a long time. Let us know what you think - does the ARH LTs allow you to service the clutch without pulling them back off, I don't remember ever seeing this mentioned?

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread