BBK throttle body question

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Anyone install the twin blade 65mm throttle body and have any problems?

I have it installed for about 5 months so far and recently it has been idling high. Idles at stop between 1200 and 2000 sometimes. When I kick the pedal it drops down to normal idle, but it then has a hard resistance when I press the gas pedal. I have reset the PCM and even pulled the TP sensor cable off to see if the fast idle will drop, but no effect.

Planning on pulling off the throttle body and and checking it out, and possible put the stock one back on. Wanted to see if anyone had similiar problems. It is the modified unit with extra return spring cable, not the original setup.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Try cleaning it. I had a BBK TB on a 92 5.0 that did the same thing you describe. It was slightly gummed up and could not close all the way Cleaning fixed it.

jonas

Established Member
try cleaning the iac valve, it could be sticking. Im having my own probs with a billetflow tb

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
I was considering putting the stock TB back on. Read the post on cleaning MAF and TB:

Reminder: Clean Your MAF Wire & Throttle Body Regularly...
...Particularly those with aftermarket air intake units. Cleaned and degreased MAF wire with 3M General Purpose Contact Cleaner #16-101, throttle body with GUNK Fuel Injector Air Intake Cleaner #M4712. Delivery of power may or may not be noticeably smoother.

Will give that a try first to see if it fixes it. To those that have the BBK on their 03, did you machine the stock plenum to match the BBK size? How did you suceed in doing that?

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
I did a before and after dyno runs. One dyno run before and 2 after. The numbers increased 4 at max power. Where the noticable gains occured lower in the rpm range, like it kicking in at 4000 rpm versus 5000. I'll attach a copy of the dyno chart from the installation.

Originally posted by snakeluvr
did you notice a difference with the BBK throttle body

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Wow, it looks like it really broadened the power and torque band. Do you have average horsepower numbers versus just the peaks?

BAD03SVT

Established Member
i dont know if that is really worth it then, by the looks of that graph.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by olchakla
To those that have the BBK on their 03, did you machine the stock plenum to match the BBK size? How did you suceed in doing that?

Yes, 4hrs, a dremil, several carbide tips....

I had the same problem with my second BBK, I'm currently on my third. Best bet is to exchange it for a new one. What happens is the sealant heats up and gums up the blade linkage. Additionaly if you used the TPS ring insert it will cause sticking as the TB heats up.

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
I put the stock TB back on and the idle problem went away and sticky pas pedal also, but so did the responsiveness at higher RPM's. I plan on sending it back for tech eval and ordering another plenum that I will have a machine shop port out to the size of the BBK TB.

I took some TB cleaner and removed the carbon residue inside the bores, and unfortunately some of the cleaner got on the valve cover and removed the paint. I could feel that the stock TB had a much return and firmer return spring, the BBK didn't have as good a return. Guess that is why they had to go to the extra spring. I would still say that the BBK is more bang for your buck compared to Billetflow or Accufab. The small gains isn't worth their higher expense.

Did you get your BBK through Brothers Performance or do your returns directly through BBK?

Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
Yes, 4hrs, a dremil, several carbide tips....

I had the same problem with my second BBK, I'm currently on my third. Best bet is to exchange it for a new one. What happens is the sealant heats up and gums up the blade linkage. Additionaly if you used the TPS ring insert it will cause sticking as the TB heats up.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by olchakla
Did you get your BBK through Brothers Performance or do your returns directly through BBK?

Did both exchanges at Brothers showroom (side benefit of living close to them at the time. ) They exchanged the defective ones with stocked TB's. Brothers' warrantys them for 90 days for exchanges. BBK has a 1 year warranty on them for returns through BBK.

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
Did both exchanges at Brothers showroom (side benefit of living close to them at the time. ) They exchanged the defective ones with stocked TB's. Brothers' warrantys them for 90 days for exchanges. BBK has a 1 year warranty on them for returns through BBK.

I just re-installed the new BBK TB and the sampe problem exists. So now I believe it is the IAC and the chages it is making. Will try resetting the idle as I picked up instructions on from another thread, and see if that solves it. Hate to go back to stock but it is a pain to drive it with the idle problem.

wicked03snake

Established Member
ive been wondering about how the bbk flows. i wonder if anyone has done any dyno tests with the bbk, billetflow, and accufab on modded cars

FordFreak

Established Member
I have all the same problems. But they are only when the engine is running. Seems the air flow is holding the blades closed. :mj:

I'm returning it for a new one. See if that works. Also I dont like the return spring pressure.

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
I had the same problem with my BBK throttle body...easily fixable too
I used the suplied throttle return spring and cut over an inch off the spring. makes it so the blades return all the way back to the idle screw.. you can clean the throttle body blades with some WD-40.. dont use brake cleaner or harsh cleaner.. use a lubricant to clean or it would make it worse (the sticking part)

Users who are viewing this thread