Bearing caps: nodular iron vs powdered metal vs forged steel

Jorday

Established Member
I'm posting this in this section because it is just a general question not related to any one specific engine. I figured someone might be on here and know how to explain this.

So, it is my understanding that as far as bearing caps go, powdered metal would be the lowest in strength, nodular iron is in the middle, and forged steel is obviously the best. This would make sense since the "lower" engines such as the previous mustang GT 4.6 or the GM LS3 use powdered metal caps, but the new 5.0 Coyote or the GM LSA use nodular iron caps, while the even more high dollar engines like LS7/9 get forged steel main caps.

I realize that powdered metal parts are produced through a forging process, but it's different than the process used to produce parts that we, as gearheads, refer to as "forged bottom end" parts. So, if you're getting ready to respond by stating that powdered metal parts ARE forged, then you probably don't know the answer to this.

Now, here's my question: Why is it that with connecting rods, the order seems to be iron>powdered metal>forged steel instead of like how it is with bearing caps? You see what I'm getting at? Is it because the iron is too hard/brittle to make as durable of a rod compared to powdered metal even though it is apparently superior as a bearing cap material?

Users who are viewing this thread